Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Defrag, slow computer, frequent crashing...

• Please log in to reply

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello everyone that's viewing this, and thank you for your time. I've always had problems out of my computer, from the first day. Now, things are much, much worse.

I am running Windows 98 SE, too...

I had a virus, but scanned my computer and got rid of it with AVG. When I restart, I keep getting an error that says "Cannot find ibm000005.exe (or one of its componets..)" I know it's not a required file, eather, so I'm thinking I missed something. I keep AVG up-to-date after the last virus, and am going to install Ewido on this machine after I post to do more scans.

I also cannot defrag my hard drive. When I do, it gets to around 20%, freezes and crashes.

I've always had low RAM, after all, I AM running a Compaq Presario. I used to have 54MB RAM, but after a friend of mine came over, he upgraded my moms computer, and gave me her RAM, which brought me up to 120.0 MB. I *still* have problems with programs freezing up on me.

My videocard settings are on the fritz. Sometimes, I can boot my computer up and get a "Display Settings" error. I have no clue what kind of card this machine uses, and therfore know not what driver to download to fix the problems.

-sighs some- Is my computer beyond hope? I would do a system restore, but I have some things on here that would take forever to upload to my serverspace, and I cannot burn things onto a CD being I have no burner in my computer.

Anyway, gotta scoot. Thank you everyone whom helps. I appericate it!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

This part is optional

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

I just have one small problem-the computer I have was from a rental place, and so they never gave me the actual Windows98 CD, they just gave me a System Restore disk, so if you had a list of files it would need/copy of the files it may call for that I could save to a 3 1/2 floppy, I would appericate it! :3

Sorry for being such a pain in the rear. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the system file checker, click ignore when it asks for a file, but make a note of them

Make sure it isn't set to update the information

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
^^ Will do, but it's 12 AM here, so I'm heading to bed.

I'll post the resulting effects tomorrow.

And Keith? Thank you in advanced for helping me! ^_^ I appericate it.

:3 ^_~

Edited by Kahami Wolfbane, 27 April 2006 - 10:02 PM.

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Alright, I have done the required steps, minus the PCTuneup, which I shall do tomorrow. Should I try to defrag now or no?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you haven't installed Tune Up you can try the defrag

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Alright, I tried to defrag, but it froze again, it got to about 20-30%, then froze. I pushed ctrl+alt+del, the bluescreen of death popped up saying 'the system has become unstable'

u_u; this is VERY fusterating.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how you get on with Tune Up now

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I did everything, and I still cannot defrag... :whistling:

Anymore suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has XP and 98SE on the same PC, neither will defragment?

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Err, no, let me explain...

The computer I am having problems out of now is my personal one, it is running 98SE. My mothers computer that also has issues from time to time is an XP Pro. I just listed them both as my OS, sorry for the confusion!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So, when you ran the system file check, did it ask for many to be replaced?

Have you tried defragmenting in safe mode

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No files asked for during system check.

No, I haven't. I'll try it tonight.

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
OKAY HERES WHAT TO DO:

run a full system scan with AVG again, on the latest updates

then download, install, update, and run full system scans with Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot-S&D.

http://www.safer-net...rors/index.html

http://lavasoftusa.c...oftware/adaware

once those clean out anything they find, download, install, and use CleanSystemDir:

http://www.theabsolu...t/sware/#clnsys

then download, install, and use Crap Cleaner 'cleaner' and 'issues':

http://ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

if the CCleaner setup says you need the runtime files, download and install them from this link:

http://dll.softandco...BRun60.exe.html

then after all that, and the possibly necessary restarting the Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot-S&D may have to do, go to start>run and type 'msconfig'. go to the 'startup' tab and remove all the unnecessary entries (i.e. Office Startup, WinZip QuickPick, etc) but not anything important such as AVG. restart the computer.

after all that, restart in MS-DOS mode. once at the command prompt, type 'scandisk'. repair any errors it finds EXCEPT lost file fragments (tell it to delete those and recover disk space). then when scan disk is finished type 'scanreg /repair'. that may take a while.

when you are done doing those, restart the machine again. download and install Diskeeper Lite (but do not use it yet). it is a better defragmenter then the Win 9x one:

http://actionpc.biz/dl/dklite.exe

run CCleaner 'cleaner' and 'issues' once more. when you have done that, close CCleaner and open diskeeper lite. tell diskeeper to defragment C: and let it go until the defragmentation is complete.

any questions??