Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive conversion

• Please log in to reply

B'ville Bob

B'ville Bob

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Got a new computer with all sorts of bells n whistle but hate to discard good hardware.

Wonder if can convert a Western Digital 40 GB Caviar WD400BB Internal Eide drive to an external using a case?? If so is this drive considered a 3-1/2 or 5-1/5 for case size dimension.

External storage capacity can be a lifesaver in my estimation.

edited out email for security...unless you like spam don't post your email on an open forum

Thanks

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, you can install the drive into an external case. Without seeing the disk, I can not say what size it is, but most likely it is a 3.5", not a 5.25" (old disks typically). You can measure it to be sure.

Personally I like this case:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817146188

but it does not have a fan and I would not use it for constant use. You can get this case and others with USB and/or firewire, so you need to make sure that you have the proper means of connecting it.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
If your new system has firewire (IEEE1394) then you may as well get a case with both USB and firewire. They are a little more expensive, but firewire is a good bit faster than USB 2.0. Later on you may get a higher capacity drive for the case and the extra speed will be much more noticable. Some highly rated dual interface enclosures:

AMC HD6-U2FW Aluminum USB+IEEE1394

Macally PHR-100AC Aluminum USB+IEEE1394

AMS VENUS DS-2316CBK OXFORD+CYPRESS USB+IEEE1394 This is a very highly rated unit - but read the reviews on all of them.

Edited by WinCrazy, 27 April 2006 - 09:19 PM.