Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

acesfull

acesfull

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Partition Suggestions

I'm getting ready to install my OS (XP) and I would appreciate any suggestions on how to partition my one harddrive (250G), in terms of size and number of partitions. Also, any suggestions on types of content for different partitions would be appreciated. Thanks.

A/F

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Partition Suggestions

I'm getting ready to install my OS (XP) and I would appreciate any suggestions on how to partition my one harddrive (250G), in terms of size and number of partitions. Also, any suggestions on types of content for different partitions would be appreciated. Thanks.

A/F

On the biggest partition try to make it no more than 120Gb that way you will not run into any kind of problems if you dont have service pack 1 or 2 but all of the new win xp cd's now come with sp2 included...

I bought another maxtor harddrive 250gb and its in 3 partitions but I had 2 other harddrives already..

I have one as 127GB, one as 80GB and the other at 30GB Thats the most space it would pick up on my harddrive. It equaled about 237GB roughly..

Its really up to personal preference. Do whatever you want to.

You can leave the main partition which the os is installed onto just for the os and whatnot.. the next can be for games and the next partition can be for movies/data files... Its all up to you.. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like a 50-60Gb system partition for windows and then my rest for files in either a system partition or a plain logical.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
If you want to run a RAID 0 later, xpPro can take a clear partition and strip it with another hard drive for a software based Raid 0 configuration.

It will require a second hard drive in teh future though.