Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot reboot from disk

• Please log in to reply

dambromr

dambromr

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Greetings,

I decided to re-install Windows XP and start fresh (as I have many times before). For some reason, when restarting the computer this time, it will not recognize my XP CD in the drive. In other words when it says "Press any key to boot from CD", my doing so has no effect.

Here is all the info:

1. I have previously struggled with this same issue with F8 for safe-mode but you guys helped me find a way around that.

2. My computer DOES respond when I hit 'delete' to go into the BIOS, so it does register the existence of my keyboard.

3. I have checked the BIOS to make sure that the CD drive is the primary place the computer looks during a reboot.

4. I tried my Windows XP CD on another computer and it was in fact recognized upon startup.

This is a puzzler - any advice?

-MD

Edited by dambromr, 26 April 2006 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Strange. Tried different keys (enter, space)?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
USB keyboards and mice are problematic in XP installation.

Is there any way you can temporarily install a PS2 keyboard (assuming there is a 3/8 inch purple colored socket for one on the back of your case) ? This should avoid the problem long enough for XP to be installed and do its own recognition of your USB input devices.