Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Keyboard Not Functioning in BIOS startup

• Please log in to reply

Grant deBruin

Grant deBruin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's a problem thats kind of out of the blue. Recently, i've been hit with the puper.dll trojan that keeps regenerating. I read on another board here that part of the way to properly delete it is to run virus software and such while in safe mode in windows xp. Here's the catch, I can't get my dell usb keyboard to function during the bios bootup time. none of the keys function and when I make the computer not load properly which brings me to the system choices (safe mode, normal, etc) I can't use the arrow keys to select anything. Is there any way for me to get the bios to recognize the keyboard so I can choose safe mode so I can remove this trojan properly? here are my computers specs:
dell dimension 8200
windows xp home Sp2
1.8ghz P IV
1 gb rambus ram
200 gb maxtor hd
dell optical usb mouse
dell usb keyboard (model RT7 D10)
Running dell bios A05
Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Grant

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go. How do you get into BIOS if it doesn't recognize your keyboard?

Grant deBruin

Grant deBruin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thats my fault in my description, really i mean't to say was during the normal bootup procedure. I had the two confused. i'll hit the F8 key when you normally should to enter the bios, but it doesn't work. I was tyold by someone to try and aquire a ps/2 keyboard and try that, as right now this is a usb keyboard. Thanks.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
There's often an option in the BIOS to select a USB keyboard as well.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – Grant deBruin – [Dell USB Keyboard Issue]
2nd May 2006

I can't get my dell usb keyboard to function during the bios bootup time. none of the keys function and when I make the computer not load properly which brings me to the system choices (safe mode, normal, etc)

That is a problem using a USB Keyboard – If the Bios is not properly set to – Enabled USB Keyboard Legacy – Keyboard cannot be used. You need to use an adapter – I think that Dell uses a – 6 Pin DIN Connector for Keyboard – so you need a – USB to 6 Pin DIN – that hopefully – is supplied by Dell [??] Then – Safe Mode – is entered just before Windows is loaded – So Keys are not recognized unless the Keyboard is supported by BIOS – USB Drivers are not loaded/installed yet –

I personally recommend using – Non USB Input Devices – if possible – Because of this situation & also it frees up the USB Port/s – But mainly because these are dedicated Ports & have dedicated IRQ Resources & will eliminate Keyboard & Mouse conflicts – However, A lot of the Laptops are not offering the PS/2 Ports or – COM Ports or Parallel Ports anymore – so USB Ports are required [??] or USB Adapters are needed/required –

USB Devices do not work in a – Non Windows Environment – USB Drivers are loaded/installed in the Windows Operating System – When in BIOS – The keyboard is then supported by BIOS Instructions – but that Option must be set 1st –

Also Dell states that the USB Mouse & Keyboards are to be connected to Rear USB Ports [??] – If you cannot use keyboard – Maybe that has something to do with your situation [??] Dell does not follow the Norm [??]

Is this something new – or did you change your BIOS Setting [??]

See - Reference Links -

Dell webpage
http://support.dell....m8200/index.htm

USB Driver Updates
http://www.usb-drive.../117/117559.htm

Dell 8200 webpage – Keyboard Problems -
http://support.dell....lve.htm#1105950

Jack123

Grant deBruin

Grant deBruin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Jack,

Currently I have both the keyboard & mouse attached to a 4 usb hub that is in turn connected into one of the usb ports on the tower in the back. What had happened to cause this (seemingly as I remember it) was after I added a 2nd hard drive, some friends & I had to go through some figiting with it's connectors and such with the caseback open and that in turn seemed to cause the problem. I'm going to try and borrow a regular ps2 keybaord from one of them to see if I can get into the bios and then find the option to enable this option as before this 2nd hd was added, it worked fine and i could hit these keys and it would take me to the bios setup.
Dell it seems has always been a maverick as far as not going along normal lines. In one case I removed the factory case fan and replaced it with a high efficiency one and I get an error message that says 'alert! previous fan failure.' so I would just originally ignore all such errors through another such bios option. I'll look through these links and see if I can find anything new. Thanks for the help Jack!

Grant

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 – Grant deBruin – [Dell USB Keyboard Issue]
3rd May 2006

Dell it seems has always been a maverick as far as not going along normal lines. In one case I removed the factory case fan and replaced it with a high efficiency one and I get an error message that says 'alert! previous fan failure.

Well Dell is a – Proprietary Manufacturer – which means Dell does not follow Standard PC Power Supply Wiring or Motherboard wiring. So when replacing hardware is not an easy task. It would not be too bad, if they were – good – and had – good support. Updating/upgrading a Dell is [bleep] -

I'm going to try and borrow a regular ps2 keybaord from one of them to see if I can get into the bios and then find the option to enable this option as before this 2nd hd was added, it worked fine and i could hit these keys and it would take me to the bios setup

According to the Dell specs – Keyboard & Mouse is USB/PS/2 Compatible but with a 6-Pin Adapter -
http://support.dell....ecs.htm#1101572

Power Supply is rated at 250 Watts [??] – Probably would not support most of Today’s Video upgrades – Just remember Dell does not follow – Standard PC Wiring – Most – Off the Shelf Replacements – will not conform to – Dell Wiring – and could possibly – Damage – Motherboard – Video Card – Hard Drives –

Also please note the IRQ conflict warning – mentioned in Link that I gave in previous – (01-Post)

Dell 8200 webpage – Keyboard Problems -
http://support.dell....lve.htm#1105950

Did Dell supply you with a – USB to PS/2 Adapters - ?

Jack123