Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Responding

• Please log in to reply

Project X

Project X

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have re-formatted my hard drive about 20 times in the past 4 days trying to fix my CD drives not working after installing programs. I tinnk I have nerrowed the problem down to a failing hard drive. Is it possable for a hard drive to be in working order up to a point? It's a 120 gig hard drive and after installing about 20 gig of programs on it, it becomes very very slow when i try and explore a disc in the CD drives. It stays on Not Responding for about 10 to 15 minutes, then it will let me explore the CD. Changing CD's starts the nightmare all over again.

Any suggestions would help greatly. I would also like a link to some online testing of hard drives for errors if there is such a program.

Many Thanks

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Project X

It is possible your hard drive is failing, so let's run some diagnostics:

Speed Fan
While Speed Fan's main function is to look at voltages and temperature readings, it can also look at the SMART data of a hard drive. This data can be used to determine if a hard drive is failing or will fail in the near future. While you are using it, we might as well take a look at your voltages too, just to make sure they are at healthy levels.

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

CHKDSK
Now that we got the quick and easy part out of the way, let's move on to CHKDSK. This diagnostic tool will take a few hours to completely analyze and repair your hard drive, if repair is necessary. After you post the Speen Fan results, run CHKDSK. Here's how to do it:

Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 05:58 PM.

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, here is what I got,

www.projectxgaming.com/image1.gif
www.projectxgaming.com/image2.gif

I will run the other check now. I thank you much for your help, You guys are heaven sent and I can't thank you enough.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Everything looks good :whistling:

Go ahead with CHKDSK, and let's see if it solves your problem.

If not, let me know, and we'll move on to something else.

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
When I run chkdsk it will do a quick scan where you see the 75%, once that is done, the window vanishes. There for I can't see or get the option to /f /r after.

Here is a sceen.

www.projectxgaming.com/image3.gif

Edited by Project X, 26 April 2006 - 06:53 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Exit out of that.

When you go Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r (all of it in that box) and then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot the computer.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan (it will be in a blue screen), rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 07:01 PM.

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok all done, The system rebooted as normal after the scan. HOw do we see the results?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
A quick search tells me this is how to view the log:

1. Click on Start > Run. Type eventvwr and press enter.

2. Click on the Application catagory. Scroll through the events until you see an event with Autochk as the Source.

3. Double-click the event to view the results of previous startup check disk operations.

And, for my curiosity, post the results.

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Not seeing anything under apps with that name. I do see a few entries that has a yellow warning icon. Could it be named something other?

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Here are the screens. Image 6 starts the list where image5 left off, from the high lighted down.

www.projectxgaming.com/image5.gif
www.projectxgaming.com/image6.gif

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Not quite sure then...I've never looked for it myself.

Take a screenshot of Event Viewer in the Applications area towards the time when the CHKDSK scan completed. I'll see if I notice anything.

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Here are the screens. Image 6 starts the list where image5 left off, from the high lighted down.

www.projectxgaming.com/image5.gif
www.projectxgaming.com/image6.gif

Edited by Project X, 26 April 2006 - 08:39 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Try the item called Winlogon.

Project X

Project X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, that was it, Here are the results.

http://www.projectxg...can_results.txt

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.

Interesting...

I think only time will tell if that was it :whistling:

Keep using it, if anything goes wrong, remember EXACTLY what you were doing/installing when it occured. It may be wise not to reinstall everything at once. Rather, a few programs now...wait a couple hours...then a few more...etc...until you have everything back to normal.

Let me know how it goes. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 08:58 PM.