Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display problems with XP

• Please log in to reply

billjone

billjone

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
All help is appreciated!

My computer has been functioning fine for about a year with a new monitor (Westinghouse 17" flat screen).

My daughter called me in to report aproblem with the computer. The display had some how switched to 640X480. No problem, right? Just adjust the settings.

When I try to do that, the scroll bar moves to the higher resolution. I hit apply or OK and I am asked to apply without restarting or with restarting. I tried both options!

The only thing that happens is that I return to the settings page with the same 640X480 display??????

?????????????????????????????????

Advertisements

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
sounds like you need to update the video drivers

billjone

billjone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I followed the troubleshooting advice which had me update the drivers. Still a problem. Would the driver be an issue if it was working fine for over a year?

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Is it the correct driver from the video card manufacturers website, or does windows say its the correct driver. your issue happens when windows uses a generic driver.

billjone

billjone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
My Windows XP list it as a Plug and Play monitor. When I go to update the driver, it comes back with driver updated. The problem still exists.

I have not gone to the video card manufacturers website yet. I am not even sure who the manufacturer of the video card is.

Windows mentioned that if the scroll bar did not move when I selected the higher resolution that it might be the driver. When I move the scroll bar right to higher resolution, it actually moves to the new resolution. Unfortunately, it just doesn't apply it!

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Plug and Play monitor would have been list under monitors in the dev. mgr.
you need to look under display adapter so see your video adapter. If this is a bundled computer, i.e. a dell or HP, etc. just to to their website. if this is a clone computer; open the case and look at the video card to see which brand