Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Random Blue Screening

• Please log in to reply

penberme

penberme

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My computer keeps on blue screening randomly. I turn my computer off every night and i don't keep many things open at once. It just blue screened recently with one small word document open. Help!

I have tried to do the following but I keep on blue screening.

Go to My Computer and right click on Local Disk(C:).
Select Properties -> Tools.
Under Error Checking click on Check Now.
Check both boxes and click Start.
Click Yes at the prompt and reboot your computer.

Thank you!

-Mary

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Mary.

Can you please tell me the contents of the Blue screen(s)? The information found there can be used to determine a solution.

penberme

penberme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I haven't written down any specifics. What exact info are you looking for so I can post it when I blue screen again?

Thanks!

-Mary

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hopefully it's one of the blue screens that gives you a message like the ones found here:

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=43519

So if it is a STOP message in the blue screen, copy it. (such as Stop 0x0000002E or DATA_BUS_ERROR)

But if it is anything other than a STOP message, you will have to write down the whole thing, except for the gibberish stuff like:

ee ff ff bf 54 90 40 00 83 c9 ff 33 c0 6a 01 f2 ae f7 d1 49 8b d9 1d 53 1b 05 1c fd ff f7 ff 84 c0 74 21 8b 7d f0 8b cb 8b d1 be 26 c1 e9 02 f3 a5 8b ca 53 83 e1 03 f3 a4 da f6 ff ce 25 24 04 fc 8b 45 f0 85 c0 75 05 b8 20 71 20 50 43 da 5d 6b df 5c ff 15 24 70 0a 09 20 a3 00 9b 09 fb 6d b3 c5 66 14 20 3d b7 84 00 0f 84

Since that kind of stuff is useless.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 April 2006 - 06:11 PM.

penberme

penberme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I got a Stop 0x00000077 error or Kernel_stack_inpage_error. How do I proceed now?

-Mary

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you added new hardware recently, remove or replace it to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. If this is not your situation, try the following:

Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

This will scan the hard drive for errors & damage. If it finds anything, it should repair it.

penberme

penberme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did the scan and it fixed some problems. I got a blue screen this afternoon that was different then the last one. I had a Stop: 0x000000F4 error. My computer still seems to be running sluggishly. Programs are opening slowly and my computer is freezing up repeatly.

-Mary

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Can you provide some computer info, like brand, model, and age of the computer?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Your problem may be more serious than I thought...

Just outta curiosity...is it a Dell?

Anyways, back to troubleshooting:

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

penberme

penberme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I ended taking it in to the computer help desk at school. I am now the proud owner of a new hard drive. Sorry for the sarcasm, it just seems like a very common occurance for the company contracted to mange and supply us with computers to take the easy way out and give everyone new hard drives. Although, it might have been warranted in this case. Thank you for your help!

-Mary

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
This "easy" way is the most inexpensive way, too. Hard drives have come down in price and labor costs have risen so much that this is the prefered solution in many cases.