Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acceptable cpu temp range?

• Please log in to reply

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have a P4 506 - 2.66ghz. I was just curious what accpetable temp ranges have. I haven't run the comp yet, but I have an Arctic cooling cpu sink/fan and arctic silver 5 thermal paste..

I don't think I'll have problems, but since this is my first comp to have built from scratch, I just wanted to be safe. Thanks :whistling:

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
My case has I think 5 outer fans and a CPU heatsink/fan. When idle, the CPU is running at about 24-25*C and when playing Oblivion or Call of Duty, it can go to 34-39*C.

That seems okay to me, but I've heard people getting into the 50*C and I think that's too hot. If you can, see if there are any temperature measurement things you can get to monitor your CPU temp. My case has a CPU and Hard Drive temp. monitor on the front (as well as a fan adjust knob) and it helps a great deal.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
If you're running an Intel processor, you'll get higher temperatures than an AMD proc. With AS5 and a decent heatsink you shouldn't get higher than 50C though.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is from Hardware secrets webpage.

An easy way to find out the maximum temperature your processor can support without burning out is referring to the table given at http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm. This table shows that Pentium 4 processors can operate up to 75º C (167º F) or slightly less, depending on the model, Athlon 64 can run up to 65º C or 70º C (149º F or 158º F), depending on the model, Athlon XP processors can run up to 85º C or 90º C (185º F or 194º F), also depending on their clock, and Sempron processors can run up to 90º C (194º F).

It goes without saying that this figure give the maximum acceptable temperature, that is, the value the processor can withstand without burning out. The lower the working temperature of your processor, the better. Better quality coolers will result in your processor working at a temperature well below the maximum acceptable value. You can test coolers of different makes and models on your computer yourself to see which one provides a lower temperature for your processor, i. e., which is the most efficient.

http://www.hardwares...com/article/143

SRX660

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
The CPU temp should not ever go above 60C. If it does then you need to check the case temp. It should not be above 35C, typically.

If the case temp is OK but the CPU temp is too high (especially under load) then the problem could be any of several things:

1) The CPU to heatsink interface is not good: Get a quality thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5. Take off the heatsink and clean the existing thermal paste using a soft cloth or tissue and rubbing alcohol. If there is a rubber-like pad instead of thermal paste CAREFULLY remove it. There bottom of the heatsink should be clean and smooth. Clean the top of the CPU, too. Add a SMALL amount of the thermal paste and spread it over the CPU with a credit card to make the coating thin and even. Replace the heatsink.

2) The heatsink+fan (HSF) cooler is inadequate. Look into buying a better one. You'll have to read a lot of reviews to get a good idea of what to get.

Edited by WinCrazy, 28 April 2006 - 08:06 AM.