Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

32 or 64 bit, advice/feedback

• Please log in to reply

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I just built a new computer and have a 64 bit amd processor. amd sempron 2600+
any advice or feedback on whether to continue to use winxp32 or to use winxp64
... I will most likely give 64 a try, would love advice and feedback

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Driver support for Windows x64 is still pretty weak, and there are very few programs that run in native 64 bit (mostly games). I don't think it's worth the upgrade at this moment. Maybe wait for Vista.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are worried about 64 bit drivers what i would do is go to the manufacturers websites and make sure you can get drivers for your hardware if you cant find them i wouldnt bother. Most difficult ones to get are wireless network adapters most other drivers you can find these days for most hardware, there are very few apps for x64 windows though that run in full 64bit it can run 32 bit apps as well though so you dont need to worry about it.

There arent alot of 64bit apps around, a few games but there are only a handful of them with any 64bit support and those arent native those were later updates for them. Unless you are actually need to get a new copy of xp pro i wouldnt bother getting x64.