Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE single session

• Please log in to reply

vkeks

vkeks

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm running XP, IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr...... I am unable to open multiple session of IE. When I open a second session, the first session closes out and is replaced with the new session, rather than opening a second sesssion. Any help would be most appreciated. I have run spybot, and ad-aware to no avail.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In tools>Internet Options> advanced> untick "reuse windows for launching shortcuts". You may have to restart IE.

If that doesn't work, can you right click on a link and select "open in new window"? Does it work when you do?

Johanna

vkeks

vkeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your reply. I had previously unchecked the "reuse windows for launching shortcuts". This did not make a difference. I did a soft boot just to be sure; same result. I also tried the idea to select a link with right button click -- and open in new window. Same result -- ie. overwrote the first IE session. Interestingly, this in my daughter's XP account; in my my account I am able to successfully open multiple IE brower sessions. I also checked internet options in my account, and "reuse windows for launching shortcuts IS checked." I tried unchecking "reuse window for launching shortcuts" in my account" just to see what would happen - result was still able to create multiple browser sessions in my account, i.e. no effect. Any additional ideas would be appreciated.
Vince

vkeks

vkeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Aha!!! Found the difference.... I went to Control Panel, Add/Remove Software, and uninstalled Yahoo Tool bar. All is working well. This has been driving me crazy for three days. Hope this info may help anyone else having this issue.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I've noticed that Yahoo toolbar more and more- apparently it's bundled with the Adobe Acrobat Reader, unless you specifically decline it. It also comes with the kids' IM accounts. If your daughter uses Yahoo, download Mike Lins StartUPCPL. It will put a tab in the control panel to let you decide what starts up at boot without bothering with msconfig. Yahoo adds nearly a half a dozen or so by default.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Thanks for taking the time to post back and explain how you resolved the issue. It's a big help to others who search the board when considerate people like you add to the knowledge base.

Johanna