Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive won't eject CD

• Please log in to reply

cgb1234

cgb1234

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My CD drive is stuck and won't open. I have tried inserting a paperclip into the little hole at the bottom but it still won't eject. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try opening it as the PC is rebooting

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
The paperclip suggests you are using a laptop CDROM drive. Did the CD have a sticker label or is it just plain? I had the sticker on one lift and it getting messed up inside. I had to take the drive out and take it apart to access the sticker. But you really want to avoid that, espcially if your drive is still under warranty

Is the CD readable? Has it got data or is it blank?

OR maybe you already got it out and forgot to say Thank You to the above advice :whistling:

cgb1234

cgb1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No I haven't gotten it out. It doesn't have a sticker on it. My computer is an HP a818n and the disk drive came already installed. I had just finished burning something off of iTunes and couldn't get the disk to eject. When you are facing the drive itself, there is a tiny hole at the bottom and I was told that you can insert a paperclip in and it should eject. Which, of course, it didn't. I'm just not sure where to go with it from here.

Any thoughts?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you go to device manager, click the CD drive to highlight, right click it, click remove, confirm and reboot

Still give it a go as you are rebooting it

Does it show any activity while windows loads

cgb1234

cgb1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just wanted to say thanks as I was finally able to get it to eject. I did what you said and I stuck a paperclip in the hole on the bottom as it was ejecting - when I got the disc out, it looks like the disk was unseated as it appears that something was spinning off center as there is a circular dig near the center but not on the disk. Any ideas as to how to keep this from happening again?

cgb1234

cgb1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just wanted to say thanks as I was finally able to get it to eject. I did what you said and I stuck a paperclip in the hole on the bottom as it was ejecting - when I got the disc out, it looks like the disk was unseated as it appears that something was spinning off center as there is a circular dig near the center but not on the disk. Any ideas as to how to keep this from happening again?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully it won't happen again, however, opening it as it is rebooting is usually a good way

Odd thing is, if the disc caused the mark, it should show something on the disc