Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking 1GB Corsair XMS Pro pc3200 ddr400 and xp2100+

• Please log in to reply

sdrene

sdrene

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi i have currently purchased a gig of the pro xms series for my abit nf7-s board and i was wondering if anybody could help me out overclocking just a little bit to enhance the performance. i have read the overclocking guide in the guide forums and i am still having a little trouble. i just dl'ed cpu-z to see my ram timings from my desktop.

my athlon xp2100+ is running at 1730.x MHz with a multi of 13, 133.1MHz fsb, 266.3 MHz bus, and the troubling part is a Memory Tab and a SPD Tab. The memory tab has : 133.1 MHz fsb, CAS# Latency 2.0, RAS TO CAS delay 2, ras precharge 2, cycle time (tras) 6.
the spd has: freq: 200MHz, 3.0 CAS, 3 RAS TO CAS, 3 RAS precharge, and 8 Tras.
if anybody could help me overclock the ram it would be very nice. if you need more information on my computer settings i'll be glad to post it up.

Edited by sdrene, 29 April 2006 - 07:26 PM.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You're in luck ! I happen to be running and Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 and am running the RAM faster than the default speed the CPU would normally run it at.

First, let me explain: Your cpu is an XP Athlon XP 2100+. Its default CPU-to-RAM interface (the FSB) speed is 266MHz. Using its default setting the CPU's RAM interface will run the RAM at 266MHz even though the RAM is capable of running at 400MHz or possibly a good bit faster. The RAM is capable of running at 400MHz with no increase of its operating voltage, according to its SPD specs.

So, lets try to run it at or near 400MHz to see if it is stable at that speed. Overclocking is always best done by testing using small increment increases. You will need to run Memtest86 to accurately test its stability. The program comes in an ISO disc image file that can be burned to a CD using Roxio, Nero or the free program CDBurnerXP Pro. These will make a bootable CD that will automatically run Memtest86 when your BIOS is configured to try to boot from the master optical drive before it tries to boot from the primary hard drive.

Configuring the BIOS for RAM for nondefault RAM speeds: When your system first starts up keep tapping the Delete key until you see the BIOS screen. Go to the 'SoftMenu III Setup' screen. There you sholud see your Athlon 2100 listed. Also in the list you will see an item called 'CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio". This is where you can alter the running speed of the RAM by picking a non-defualt ratio between the CPU FSB speed and that of the RAM. Select this item. Besides the entry 'By SPD' you will see all ratios listed in all combinations of the integers 3, 4, 5 and 6.

About CPU/RAM ratios: What ratio of CPU:RAM you are running now is a 1:1 ratio, which means that since the CPU FSB is running at 233MHz so is the RAM. This ratio is the same as the ratios 3:3, 4:4, 5:5 and 6:6. What you want to do first is select the best ratio that will raise the RAM speed closest to or at 400MHz that does not exceed 400MHz. If you play around with your calculator with the 3,4,5,6 integers you will find the optimal ratio turns out to be 6:4

266MHZ X 6 / 4 = 399MHZ (actually its really 266.667 X 6 / 4 = 400.0MHz)

Since this is the rated speed of the memory you want to try this first. Load up the Memtest86 disk, save the BIOS settings and exit the BIOS. Memtest will automatically boot and run. Let the program run through all the tests for 3 passes. No errors should be listed. Your RAM is rated to run at 400MHz so it better pass Memtest86 ! You should definitely notice a boost in speed when running Windows. If the RAM doesn't pass this test then it is defective and you need to get it replaced.

Having passed the 400MHz test, now is the time to increase the RAM's speed a notch and retest. Find the minimally next higher ratio that gets the speed above 400MHz. I think the next ratio is 5:3 : 266 X 5 / 3 = 433MHz. Save this setting and reboot to Memtest86. Run 3 complete passes.

Unfortunately, the ratios are limited to those using the integers 3-4-5-6, and so the next higher ratio is 6:3 which gives a final RAM frequency of 533MHz, a huge increase over 433MHz. Your RAM may very well not run properly at this speed. In fact, this speed may prevent your system from POSTing so that you will have to reset the BIOS with the little plastic jumper in the mobo located near the battery. Check the motherboard nmanual for its location and method on how to do this.

If your RAM doesn't work right away at any particular speed you can try to raise the voltage applied to the RAMS. This can often get RAM to run faster but may shorten the lifetime of it. The default voltage is 2.6V and I think that it can be set to 2.7 and 2.8V.

Overclocking is a painstaking process and you will find that only so much can be done. Also keep in mind that overclocking causes the motherboard components to generate more heat so that making sure your cace is well ventilated is very important. Raising the voltage supplied to the RAM and other components generates even more heat to exhaust. Thats why many overclockers get a case with the ability to mount multiple case fans.

Most cases have cutouts for a fan in the back as well as in the front. Overclockers also like to choose motherboards that allow very fine increments of adjustment of the CPU and FSB frequencies, often available in 1MHz increments for each.

Edited by WinCrazy, 28 April 2006 - 11:02 AM.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
wow. thank you very much

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hmm but isn't the mobo with rev 2.0 different from what i have?i heard 2.0 was better

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
okay i just tried setting the cpu:ram ratio to 6:4 but when i saved and exited BIOS it rebooted and kept beeping every 5seconds? and it would not start up. i had to plug out the jumpers on my motherboard and when it restarted, it said the cpu is unworkable and had to be changed. then i went in. what am i doing wrong

Edited by sdrene, 28 April 2006 - 10:29 PM.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Someone correct me if im wrong
but the actual fsb speed of your processor is 133 mhz
and your ram would be running at 133 mhz speed for that 1:1 ratio
i cant explain why they dont just use the acctual speeds but pretty much its just X2
curse my bad memory
anyway that 177mhz you are talking about
take that number times 2
witch would be 354
so your ram is running at 354 mhz

like i said
dont hold me to it but i think thats right

Edited by AMD 2400, 28 April 2006 - 10:31 PM.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
okay 354 mhz well that errored me out and the computer didn't start twice now. this time i tried a ratio of 4:6 to make it 200mhz instead of 133mhz and that worked. i guesss i can move my way up now and the memtest86 thing seems to not be working. i don't see the point of it. so does that mean 200x2 = now i am at 400MHz?

Edited by sdrene, 28 April 2006 - 10:44 PM.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
now my cpu-z reads : memory - 199.7 MHz, FSB:DRAM 4:6, 3 CAS, 3 RAS to CAS, 3 RAS precharge, 8 Tras.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
i tried to use memtest on my ram when i got more and it crashed my computer
so i was testing the ram i had just got with memtest and it never worked for me either
so i said screw it and reinstalled xp with it in
and it worked just fine

well you seem to be making some progress
i dont really know much about overclocking but your getting it

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i think i got a little progress on it also but can i go anyhigher than 200mhz (400mhz according to the x2) and right now my cpu temp is at 37 which seems okay.

Advertisements

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
thats not half bad
heck i would be happy with 400 mhz
but if you must go further
did you try increasing the voltage and going a little higher at the same time?

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hmm don't know =D if i raised the voltage my comp might overheat b/c i only have 2 fans lol

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Raising the RAM voltage by 0.1V or 0.2V won't overheat the RAM or the system. The CPU temp will stay the same.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
alright i'll try that.

sdrene

sdrene

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
alright. i have a new setting now and i want to verify if i should back down from it. i oc'ed my cpu as well and currently my athlon xp2100 was clocked to 152 fsb x 12.5 multiplier = giving it 1.9GHz. from the default 1.73 ghz @ 35 idle degrees celcius, the current idle temperature is 37 degrees. for my fsb:dram ratio, i changed it to 3/4 giving it a little over 199.7 MHz to 202.8 MHz. it seems to be stable and my temperature seems to be fine. any suggestions or comments?