Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wipe hard drive

• Please log in to reply

binsch

binsch

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
hey
i was wondering if there is a free way to wipe a hard drive clean without physicaly destroying it. if not then what is the best way to physically destroy it so that it cannot be restored.
thanks a bunch
--ben--

EDIT: i want it so that the information can never be accessed again

Edited by binsch, 26 April 2006 - 09:57 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There isn't a way of wiping a drive so that data cannot be recovered

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can use a disk wipe program like:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

There are also methods which the DOD uses to declassify a disk, which makes the data basically unreadable, at least to the level that the government considers acceptable.

To what degree do you need to wipe the data? Writing data to the whole disk is enough for most purposes since to recover the data would require a lot of effort and expense.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
well its sort of for my dad hes an accountant and his old computers have people's personal information on it so how about physically destroying it

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Take a large hammer and some gasoline...first: Grasp the hammer firmly and strike directly on the hard drive. Next, douse the drive parts in gasoline and light ablaze...there you go..no more hard drive!

From Kemasa's recomendation, that sounds like enough to wipe your dad's computer. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Run dban a couple of times, they are ready to reuse, data recovery would take a forensic lab to get back after that.

To destroy them completely a very strong magnet would render it inoperable

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
For destruction, which I don't think is needed personally since wiping it will be good enough unless the government is after you and doing the DOD multiple pass (which dban might do) will take care of that). A magnet is not good enough to wipe everything in paranoid mode.

In a past life, the way the disks were destroyed was to remove the platterers, sandblast the magnetic coating, cut up the platters and then melt them all. Just removing the coating is not good enough in the worst case.

Using the multiple pass erasing is good enough for the DOD for secret projects. For what you have said dban is good enough at a llow level (it has been a while, so I am not sure if it has the higher levels of wiping, but I think it does). You can also fill the disk with random data several times.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can get software to write to the DOD standard lots of apps use it these days.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thermite works wonders (or you could take the platters out and send them to me....we actually use HD platters in our alluminum furnaces here at work to raise the phosphate...or phosphorus..one of the two..levels in the alluminum)

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Another free hard disk wiper is Killdisk.