Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Sorta

• Please log in to reply

AciDtRiP

AciDtRiP

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello eeryone. Im just wanting to know what would be some good upgrades on my pc.
I have:
amd 3200+64bit
9800pro
abit av8
120gb sata hd
512mb xms Corrsair
400w psu

I would like to get a ati x1900 some memory and a new mobo. im gonna have to get a new psu probally too mine is getting kinda [bleep]. I wanted to know if my cpu is good enough or if i need a better one. Im not trying to speend to much money but ill get what i have too.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Quick web search on your motherboard found that it has 4 x 184-pin DDR-SDRAM dual-channel support for up to 4GB unbuffered, PC2100, PC2700 & PC3200
(DDR266, DDR333 & DDR400) DDR memory. The best upgrade would be more memory.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with your pc. Austins right the biggest performance gain you would get is from at least another 512 mb of ram. Make sure its the same part you have in there. A better video couldnt hurt either, Id suggest a x850 gto. Theyre fairly cheap (under 200), as for everything else it looks pretty good, unless you are using cpu intensive applications, then it wouldnt hurt to get a better cpu, preferrably something dual core. Other than that, Id hold off on gettina motherboard until later inthe year, theres a lot of new tech. coming out. So better yet, just wait on your upgrade in general, and later in the year just piece together a new rig, itll be cheaper overall and work a [bleep] of a lot better.
-P.

AciDtRiP

AciDtRiP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thx for the info. The main reason i want to upgrade is cuz i play games and now its getting where i lag on games. So thats why i was gonna get a new video card.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I wouldn't get a GTO anything since they are bottom of the line, but an x800/x850 would be a fine upgrade for your machine. That + new RAM will really make a difference.

Changing motherboards will be little, unless you plan on overclocking, which shouldn't be neccisary if all you're trying to do is fix some lag.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thx for the info. The main reason i want to upgrade is cuz i play games and now its getting where i lag on games. So thats why i was gonna get a new video card.

The LAG you speak of is from the lack of speed on your video card and memory in the system. The CPU is still OKAY by todays standards..

Your Performance in games will increase if you bought a new video card that is substantially faster. From 512mb to 1Gb of system ram will make a big noticable difference.

Lag is a term for your internet connection cutting out in games or packet loss on multiplayer servers.

If you are having video problems then its called choppy gameplay or poor FPS (frames per second).

Your problem is more about the combination of system memory and video card both. Thats why you are getting poor results or choppy gameplay in games.

Newer technology is coming out very soon and in my opinnion I would hold out and buy a new pc. Just the pc itself with everything in it..

If you buy a x1900 now and more memory thats money that you could have put on a new system with the newer technology. Just something to think about.

I wanted to buy a new pc with a dual core cpu and a 7900gt video card with 2-3gb of ram but im holding out now because I want to get the new dx10 cards and I will try out the new Vista OS also. I still have this pc to mess around with on winXP..

AciDtRiP

AciDtRiP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea that sounds good i already knew about why my stuff was lagging i just need help on good hardware. Do you know when the new technology is gonna be coming out?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
supposed to be summer, so june if they are on time could be july or august though.