Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new system

• Please log in to reply

gamecrazy

gamecrazy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HI everyone... I am a computer game freak, I want to find out what kind of a system can run Half Life 2, Doom 3, F.E.A.R., connected to a HDTV that supports a resolution of 1920x1080, with all the graphics set to the max:) including AA and AF... What kind of a system is needed for this; from the motherboard, graphics card(ATI or Nvidia), power supply, CPU(AMD or Intel), memory etc. By the way I am not asking for a system that is the most expensive; for example if only two GeForce7900 GTX SLI is enough don't recommend the quadro...Thanx for everyones help:)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, its gonna be expensive, i would go for a pair of X1900XTXs in crossfire they are the fastest dual card solution, but now isnt a good time to be buying lots of hardware summer is when they are releasing alot of new technology, DX10, socket AM2 and alot of new intel cores.

gamecrazy

gamecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Lol, its gonna be expensive, i would go for a pair of X1900XTXs in crossfire they are the fastest dual card solution, but now isnt a good time to be buying lots of hardware summer is when they are releasing alot of new technology, DX10, socket AM2 and alot of new intel cores.

Thanx for the info, I will probably wait a while and ask again the same question during summer when the new techs u mentioned are available.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Athlon 3700+

2 gigs RAM

x1900 in crossfire

Will eat anything alive for the next year or so, then all but the RAM will need replacing.

But such is the way with computer gaming....

Todays or tomorrows technology, it all goes so quickly....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The gfx card would need replacing the architecture of DX10 is radically different from DX9 and makes more use of hardware designed specifically for it and its new rendering techniques. It wouldnt last year if you play new games released over the year in there full settings, itll play anything now though and still be relativley powerful and play new games well just not quite eating alive style, the technology makes a big jump every few years in different areas, this is the gfx card year, last year it was cpu with dual core, next year its likely to be ram and the year after will see the new high capacity high speed mass storage devices

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Point is, every 6 months or so a new technology is released that is a new hugh breakthrough.

All you can do is try to plan ahead and figure out what will last and what won't.

The 3700+ is the cheapest you can get the magical san diego core which will still be an excellent chip a year from now, especially with the overclocking potential

2gigs will probably be the new gaming standard, due to the new gfx paging file that vista will introduce, as well as more involved physics and AI systems

dx10 won't be big for another 6 months or so after the release, there will still be solid spport for dx9.0c. Takes game devopers a while to really take advantage of something like this. The x1900 is the best card around, so it'll be the one that lasts the longest.

CPU and RAM will last you, but with vid cards its a never ending battle.

gamecrazy

gamecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
By the way wich one would u prefer AMD vs Intel and ATI vs Nvidia. And also when DX10 comes does this mean that the current graphics cards wont be able to do some of the effects?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

By the way wich one would u prefer AMD vs Intel and ATI vs Nvidia. And also when DX10 comes does this mean that the current graphics cards wont be able to do some of the effects?

Well right now I would go with AMD they have the edge on gamers and they are fairly priced for what you are paying for and getting.

ATI VS Nvidia, I would just get whichever had the better price on the 2 comparison cards from both manufacturers that were in the same performance range..

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I agree, AMD is beating Intel, especially in games, at the moment. Although, Conroe is looking very promising as well. AM2 comes out in less than a month I believe. I would wait for DX10. No point in buying the absolute best if you are going to need to replace it very soon. ATI vs nVIDIA more often than not dpends on your budget. In the states, warriorscot (xD), nVIDIA has the best bang for the buck by a lot. For best cards out though, ATi holds that prize with the X1900XTXs.

gamecrazy

gamecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What about Nvidias graphic cards that have dual GPU's that u can SLI and make what they call quadro? Will this be way too much, more than I need?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah quadro is a bit overkill, no one really needs the quadro cards.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

What about Nvidias graphic cards that have dual GPU's that u can SLI and make what they call quadro? Will this be way too much, more than I need?

They are a bit overkill. They call it Quad SLI. Quadro is a workstation rendering card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you have the money and have to have the best then get just 2 sli video cards or either 2 ati crossfire cards..

gamecrazy

gamecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If you have the money and have to have the best then get just 2 sli video cards or either 2 ati crossfire cards..

And this will enable me to crank all the graphics to the max including AA and AF at 1920x1080 when playing Q4, Doom3, HL2, and FEAR...

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

And this will enable me to crank all the graphics to the max including AA and AF at 1920x1080 when playing Q4, Doom3, HL2, and FEAR...

Ya but in my opinnion I would wait out until the end of summer. Newer technology is coming out very soon and its not really a smart Idea to build an expensive gamers pc right now with dual video cards..

You will be hurting yourself in the end, Directx10 is coming soon and the directx10 video cards and Windows Vista...

New cpu's and sockets from intel and amd are coming very soon also.

The newer conroe intel chips are coming out by april 30th..

Edited by jrm20, 28 April 2006 - 10:27 PM.