Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pixilated gaming crash

• Please log in to reply

kurai

kurai

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys, new here.

My problem is I recently bought a 1gb stick ram, made sure it was the same as the stock that was in my motherboard when I bought my pc (PC2700 DDR333 blah blah blah). Now it worked fine for a few days, gaming all the time with no lag.

But all of a sudden if I play any game for more then 15minutes, it like..locks up. The screen will go black with no sound. Then the sound will come back and resume as if I'm playing the game but the screen is all pixilated like a broken Nintendo game and split down the middle like a multiplayer console game. Someone once said this was a problem with my graphics card (Radeon 9800 128mb) but I've never had a problem before.

I usually have to alt tab out and end the process, then my pc runs like poo (Internet runs slow, opening folders is slow, loading anything is slow) until I restart.

I didn't know if this was hardware related since it only happens when I play games so I figured to post it here. Thanks

Edited by kurai, 26 April 2006 - 11:07 PM.

Advertisements

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
First try taking out the RAM you just installed and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't fix it, it *could* be overheating due to a recently failed fan. Your video card could also have failed altogether.

kurai

kurai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll try taking out the ram in the morning and post up if it worked.

This is going to suck if my graphics card failed me, I'll have to buy one asap. Thanks

kurai

kurai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I decided to try it now.

I took out the ram and fired up a game (Black and White 2 demo) and surely enough, the pixilated crash happened. Come to think of it, it happened to me in World of Warcraft a few times before I got my ram, I always assumed it was a server problem, but maybe my ATI card is dying.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds maybe temperature related you might try cleaning out your system they get dusty and that can make cooling very inneffective,also a full list of system specs would be needed.

kurai

kurai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
AMD Althlon XP 2800+ 2.1GHz
1.5gb ram (1gb stick 512mb stick)
80gb hdd
ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb

I don't know what else you need.

kurai

kurai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nothing, eh?

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
If you have overclocked anything clock it down to stock speeds and try it again if not then update your drivers and try it.