Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Boot up

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Packard Bell with a MII .333 MMX processor... 32 MB ram, 4.3 GB harddrive. It runs Windows 98. I try to boot it and it boots to the windows screen ... then it displays a "This program has performed an illegal operation" message. I can't get beyond that. How do I boot it? I am a true computer novice!!!

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
Are you able to boot into safe mode? (To enter safe mode tap the F8 key while the computer is starting. Select Safe Mode from the menu.) If so, disable startup items using msconfig (Start -> Run, type msconfig).

How to Troubleshoot Using the Msconfig Utility with Windows 98:

If not able to boot in safemode, create a bootdisk http://www.bootdisk.com. Start your computer with this disk in the floppy drive and at the command prompt type c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore. Select a date before the problem began.