Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot to windows anymore.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it offer the option to skip the file? I've never heard of that one. I searched my machine and my XP installation cd and found nothing.

Do you have any periferals like printers or scanners connected? How about other USB devices like flash drives or card readers? Unhook everything but the mouse, keyboard, and monitor and see if it will get through the repair.

Advertisements

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok, gonna try it :whistling:.

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oops, I wrote wrong, it's ASMS.

But still ask after unplugging everything except those you said.

And I found this: http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q311755

Edited by Baosen, 27 April 2006 - 12:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've run into that one... :whistling:

How is your drive formatted? Fat32 of NTFS?

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It's formatted with NTFS, that's dumb since I don't got any other partition to install in it.

But since the installation ask where the folder is, I could just copy over the folder from the CD to the harddisk (The folder I386) using recovery console, and then specify that it should look in that I386 to find ASMS. Could I?

I didn't get that error when I was trying for the first time, so it must be something with my computer.

(Now I'm getting a little bit geeky hehehe).

But tnx for the help :whistling::) I appreciate it :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in replying...got called away from the computer unexpectedly... :whistling:

I think all we need to do is remove the filters from the drive it's looking for. To do this, When you receive the error message, press SHIFT+F10 to start a command session.

Type regedit.exe, and then press "Enter".

Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. On the "File" menu, click Load Hive, and then load Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav

When you are prompted to specify a name, type Test. Locate and then click the following key: (In the left pane, expand by clicking +)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Test, then ControlSet1, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on UPPERFILTERS and choose "Delete...right click on LOWERFILTERS and choose "Delete".

Repeat this for the other ControlSet# keys under the Test hive.
Posted Image
Click "File", and then click "Exit" to quit Registry Editor.

If the path in the error message is the correct drive letter for the cd-rom drive, click "Ok" to continue the Setup program. If you receive the error message again, the Setup program cannot correctly read from the cd-rom drive, or the path information is incorrect. In this case, restart your computer and let the Setup program resume.

Let me know how this goes.

Edited by wannabe1, 27 April 2006 - 04:29 PM.

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nope, didn't work...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Let's get back into the registry editor and see if the Upper and Lower filters are set in the following:

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and LowerFilters listed? If either or both filters are set, Delete them as described earlier.

Try again...

Edited by wannabe1, 28 April 2006 - 07:28 AM.

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nope, They are not listed in there.... I hope you got more options to save my computer :whistling: Also in the Test folder and controlset001 hadn't any Class folder, but controlset002 had.

Edited by Baosen, 28 April 2006 - 07:42 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a floppy drive on the machine?

Advertisements

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes.

EDIT: Now I used this working machine and copied all files in the cd to the harddisk.
Then when the error message came up, I typed "C:\XP(The folder with all the files)\I386" and it worked to let it use those files copied! YAY!.

But now it's stucked in the middle of the installer, I tried CHKDSK like they said in IRC for some days ago, it didn't find any errors on my harddisk.

What to do now???!?!?!?

Edited by Baosen, 28 April 2006 - 11:09 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's good news!

Does it give an error message or a "minute mark" where the installation is hanging?

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It gives a minute mark, it hangs at "installing devices" on 33 minutes.
My PC was up 8 hours today and it hasn't finished yet, still on 33 minutes. Help me

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's hanging on a device. If you have any devices connected, unhook them. USB devices, Network cards, Video cards, Printers, even USB keyboards and mice can cause this.

Make sure you have nothing but the keyboard and mouse connected. If you have a PS2 keyboard and mouse, use them. If you only have a USB keyboard and mouse, one trick I have used is to disconnect the keyboard and mouse as soon as the installation reaches the point to where you won't need to use them. You can connect them again when the machine boots to Windows and you need them to finish the setup.

Get everything unhooked (Don't worry about Network cards and such at the moment...just get the periferals) and restart...setup should start again...when it starts the automated process...pull the plug on the mouse and keybaord.

If it still hangs at this point, we'll look into disabling a few things in BIOS

Edited by wannabe1, 29 April 2006 - 01:26 AM.

Baosen

Baosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yay! The repairation succeeded!!!!!! My PC lives!!!

TNX FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND RE-LIVING MY PC!!!!!

TNX TNX TNX TNX TNX TNX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!