Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious lags and crashes

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Hi, Loaded up my computer just a few minutes ago and waited for it to load, everything loaded fine. I then loaded up my internet connection program and connected to the internet, fine. Then I tried to load up Opera Browser and the little timer appeared but nothing happened for ages. I tried to load Internet Explorer and it loaded the little timer icon and then ,nothing. So I continued to the three finger salute, but again nothing. Then Explorer died and everything dissapeared except for the background. I waited, still nothing. So i restarted my PC and upon startup my monitor flickered about and weird lines appeared on the screen ( never happened before). I then loaded into windows and the same thing happened again (nothing Loading) but then i closed the NVIDIA program in my task bar and then everything loaded at once. My computers RAM is also low and at most I have about 30%-40% free, until I run the RAM optimiser then it goes to about 118MB of RAM. My CD-RW now also gives the 'Power Calibration Error' when burning at higher speeds. Now everything is running OK, but my computer is seriously lagging. I have run Spyware checks and virus checks which have returned no results at all. I have cleaned my hard drive of unwanted things and run all of the things that I can think of. My Fan inside the PC is also working overtime ALL of the time and running really fast.

It would be most appreciated if someone could give me any help on my problem.

Edited by CJIS, 27 April 2006 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CJIS...

Open "Control Panel" and then "Add or Remove Programs". Tick the box at the top to "Show Updates". Scroll down to the updates and locate Windows Security Update KB908531, select it and remove it. Re-enable your nVidia adapter and reboot.

Let me know if you see an improvement.

wannabe1

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Hello again, ok it says if I uninstall this then:
Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
Messenger Beta
May not run properly, should I continue anyway??

Also my PC this morning has booted up as fast as ever and everything seems to be working great.

Edited by CJIS, 27 April 2006 - 11:59 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.... :blink:

If everything seems to be running fine, I wouldn't mess with it. Microsoft has now released a new version of that bad update and you may now have it on your machine. Just keep an eye on it and if you start having problems again, post back. :whistling:

wannabe1

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok thanks