Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Change Display Settings...

• Please log in to reply

neR

neR

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Stuck at 640x480.

No matter what I try, I can get as far as attempting to update the driver, then I'm hit with the "access is denied" hammer.

:whistling:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello neR.

Is this a work, school, or home computer? And if it is a home computer, did you purchase it used?

In addition, have you been able to modify the resolution before?

neR

neR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Wiz; thanks for the quick reply.

- This is actually my Mother's Home Office Computer (trying to help/be a good son, and failing at the moment). She bought it new a few months ago, I helped her set up all her anti-wares goodies and stuff, and then one day she turned it on and it was bugged. Best as I can tell, she hasn't installed anything new since then.

- Yes. Modified the resolution before w/no troubles.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's make sure she's not still "bugged", shall we?

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

neR

neR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Attached File  HJT.txt   7.13KB   184 downloads

There you go, you wacky Doodle-Burglar.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Me...Doodal-Burglar? :whistling:

:blink:

I don't see any infection, other than the MyWay bug, which actually comes with all Dells. Currently it is up to debate as to wheter it is still considered an infection, since Ask.com (I think it was them) bought the rights to MyWay...

But I do see 1 problem. You have 2 anti-virus programs on the computer. While I doubt it is that which is causing your problem, it could definately cause problems in the future, especially when they both detect an infection at the same time. This will definately cause a conflict and could result in problems.

So, I recommend getting rid of McAfee (but if you prefer McAfee, then get rid of Trend Micro. It's ultimately up to you. :help: )

Now for your permissions problem. I have a special fix on my computer called Repair XP Permissions. I downloaded it a long time ago, so I forgot what exactly it fixes. I could not find information on it, so currently I am running it on my computer to see what happens. Since my computer is not restricted, I will not know if it works, but I will be able to determine if it is safe to run...

I will post back when it is finished running, and attach it if the results are good.

-edit: It finished. I'm going to reboot to make sure everything is okay. I'll be right back.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 April 2006 - 02:46 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty, my computer booted up fine. So if it is not a restriction issue, this fix will not harm anything.

I ALWAYS like to be too cautious rather than sorry, so just in case, please create a system restore point. To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point and call it something like "before fix". When it is creating the restore point, it may look like your computer has frozen. Just leave it. But it shouldn't take longer than 3 minutes to complete. Don't do anything while it is creating the restore point.

Now...download the following attachment:

Unzip it and then double-click on the file. A "self-extracting archive" window will popup. Click Extract. It will extract the fix's folder to the same folder as where you downloaded it.

Open the Repair XP Permissions's folder and then double-click on the file called !RUNME. It may take a while to finish. Let it do it's job. When it is finished, it will say so, and then you can press any key to exit.

When it is finished, reboot the computer and see if you can change the Resolution.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 April 2006 - 03:02 PM.

neR

neR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okies.

Apparently, the Repair XP utility had some kind of problem towards the end of doing...whatever it was that it was doing, as these lines popped up at the bottom:

"The Parameter is incorrect"

"Task is completed with error".

I don't know if that means anything or not.

Moving right along, upon rebooting, I got a Windows Pop-Up stating that "Windows NetBIOS Messenger Service is running". I clicked "Ignore" (for now).

Finally, got the "Display Settings Are Wacky" bubble; eventually got stuck back in the same mess (try to update the driver, it will find and download the files, but upon completion I get the "Access is Denied" nonsense).

Gah! Any ideas?

(Thanks for your help btw)

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's give Dial-a-fix a shot...

Download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

When you open it, it shoud detect the restrictions (if present) and prompt you to remove them. Do it. If you don't see the window prompting you to do this, then follow these directions:

1. Download secedit.exe from http://DjLizard.net/...are/secedit.exe

2. Move that file (secedit.exe) to C:\WINDOWS\system32\

NOTE: if there is a file called secedit.exe in that folder already, then don't move it. Leave the one in the folder alone, and delete the one I had you download.

3. Open Dial-a-fix. Click on Tools at the bottom. Highlight Repair Permissions and click on GO

4. When it is done fixing, restart the computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 April 2006 - 04:09 PM.

neR

neR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Same result. [bleep] these infernal contraptions.

KHAAAAAAAN!

Anyways, I'm done for the night, but if you have any other ideas/suggestions, please post them as I really need to get this worked out. Not only is it near-impossible to function on the web like this, but it's interfering with other stuff as well (case in point - for some reason, her Firewall and AntiVirus stuff deactivated, and now I can't turn them back on because the windows are so freakishly huge that the important buttons are off-screen).

So yeah; I'll be back, and thanks again for your time and help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Do you have a Windows XP CD?

neR

neR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey Wiz.

Managed to get things quasi-right by just systematically going back through various restore points until I found one which wasn't wonky. Of course; this has caused a few hiccups, and I'd like to know what caused the problem in the first place, but whatever.

//blissfully ignorant

Thanks for your time and help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I'd like to know what caused the problem in the first place, but whatever.

My guess is either corruption or a setting...

If you need anything else, let me know. We're here for ya :whistling: