Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

regedit restore

• Please log in to reply

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, I made a copy of my of my regedit and burned it to a CD, now what
I like to be sure of is how to restore it if ever I have any problem with
my regedit ? I hope I never need it but if I do, be nice to get the job done
quick and easy.
Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you exported the rigistry correctly (if it made a .reg file..you probably did) then all you need to do is move the file over to the desktop..right click it and choose merge....that will put all that info back into the registry

Dwight

Dwight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

if you exported the rigistry correctly (if it made a .reg file..you probably did) then all you need to do is move the file over to the desktop..right click it and choose merge....that will put all that info back into the registry

Wow! thanks for fast reply dsenette, Yes I did and thanks to you I know what to do now.
Thank You very much. :whistling:

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Making a backup of the registry is not the best way to save it. For example, if installing a program causes bad entries to be added to the registry, then merging the original backup will NOT delete those new entries.

You would be far better off using the free program ERUNT. It does a proper registry backup and will completely replace the registry with a previous version. Read the instructions for its use. Placing a one-line BAT file in you startup directory will automatically make a registry backup every time you log on to your system.

Dwight

Dwight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Making a backup of the registry is not the best way to save it. For example, if installing a program causes bad entries to be added to the registry, then merging the original backup will NOT delete those new entries.

You would be far better off using the free program ERUNT. It does a proper registry backup and will completely replace the registry with a previous version. Read the instructions for its use. Placing a one-line BAT file in you startup directory will automatically make a registry backup every time you log on to your system.

Thank you WinCrazy, I'll check it out.

Digidave

Digidave

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm sorry to butt in on this thread but I took Wincrazy's advice & I have a couple of questions. First, when you do a back-up should a guy put a checkmark in "other open user registries". I'm the only person that uses this machine. Secondly, What is that NTREGOPT that was put on my desktop. When clicked on, it wants to optimize my registry, I guess. Is this a good idea? What exactly would it do? Is it even necessary? Again, I'm sorry for the intrusion, but I'm guessing that I'm not the only one with these questions & any help would greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Dwight

Dwight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

I'm sorry to butt in on this thread but I took Wincrazy's advice & I have a couple of questions. First, when you do a back-up should a guy put a checkmark in "other open user registries". I'm the only person that uses this machine. Secondly, What is that NTREGOPT that was put on my desktop. When clicked on, it wants to optimize my registry, I guess. Is this a good idea? What exactly would it do? Is it even necessary? Again, I'm sorry for the intrusion, but I'm guessing that I'm not the only one with these questions & any help would greatly appreciated. :blink:

Hi Digidave wecome to geekstogo, on the checkmark in (other open user registriess) I'm
not sure I would like to know to, On ntregopt I let it do optimize, I think it a good idea.
I'm hope WinCrazy will come back a help you with this he knows more about it then me. :whistling:

Edited by 4238dwight, 28 April 2006 - 01:05 PM.

Dwight

Dwight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

WinCrazy I downloaded it and I love it thanks again its a cool program. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the optomizer will remove irrelevant entries in the registry to save space and make sure things stay organized...so it's good to do..

as far as the "other user" deal...even if you've only got one user...there's stil the real administrator..though if you never log on as that user...then that refistry shouldn't change...so it's up to you...if you do it..then the backups will be a little larger in size...

Dwight

Dwight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

the optomizer will remove irrelevant entries in the registry to save space and make sure things stay organized...so it's good to do..

as far as the "other user" deal...even if you've only got one user...there's stil the real administrator..though if you never log on as that user...then that refistry shouldn't change...so it's up to you...if you do it..then the backups will be a little larger in size...

Hi dsenette, Thank You for your help I love geekstogo it has open doors for me
in a big
way.................... :whistling:

Advertisements

Digidave

Digidave

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yea, I would also like to say, Thank You, for the clarification. Man, You gotta love these forums!! :whistling:

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Sorry, but when you replace a registry value with one you exported before-hand, dont all the keys inside that value change ?

When exporting the entire registry, at least this is what I did, I right clicked on the my computer icon and exported.

Scince we're technically replacing that entire value, wouldnt your comment be wrong ?

( Been a while I haven't tinkered in my registry, I'm curious about this )

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Yes, if the keys names match. But what if a brand new key was added ? The old registry does not have that key and so, would not change or delete it by a merge operation.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yes, I understand that, but when you overwrite a node, it's entirely re-written, therefore any new keys would be deleted wouldn't they ?

It's like when you're painting and you decide to start over on the same canvas, you throw white back on, the old stuff gets covered up

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
No, new keys can not be overwritten or deleted by a merge operation.