Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which is better, 256 X1300 PRO or 512 X1300?

• Please log in to reply

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Well since overclocking is not a neccesary component and it is a pre built system from a mass builder its possible that its not actually possible to overclock as it might not ne standard retail.

You dont buy quality hardware you cant expect it to do the things that the quality parts do.

Bu it's an MSI RADEON x1300 PRO. What could be wrong with that? I overclocked the core by 2.25 MHz and the Memory by 1. WOW!! But thats as far as it [bleep] well goes.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is possible they loaded a custom bios MSI make mostly boards for builders and have alot of unique bioses if you look on there site youll see some boards with different bioses for different manufacturers.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So what are you saying? I dont understand.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That overclocking options are something you can only use if the Bios of the card permits you doing it most cards ive ever seen let you do it but its possible the gfx cards bios or even the hardware itself wont permit it.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Can I make the card permit it.

Also, I heard from a friend that ATi are releasing a new next gen DX10 card. Is this true?

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
If I have X1300 catalyst drivers installed, and I take out the X1300 PRO 256MB, and put in the X1300 512MB, will the drivers automatically work with the 512MB?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes, why on earth do you have two x1300s one is bad enough.

On Dx10 cards we have been talking about it for weeks its the biggest reason we have been telling people to hold of on buying new computers for the last few weeks.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So how much will the best new DX10 cards be? £400?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There will be a whole range of them as usual for new card releases. I dont know why people are automiatically thinkg they will all cost 4-500 hundred quid.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
also with ati drivers they have clock locks placed on them

in ati tool click settings
in the drop down menu select miscellaneous and click on remove clock lock

this might help if u havent done so already

also you can try to update your drivers to softmod drivers i did this and i noticed a reasonable improvement in frame rates aswell as allowing me to overclock

but i have an ati radeon 9550 which has the same core as a 9600 but its underclocked and i can push it pretty far but ur card is different

i suggest just running the two tests and seeing how far you can go without seeing any artifacts

troppo

Advertisements

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So troppo, please tell me exactly what software and what I need to do all this, and how to do it.

(I tried ATi Tools, didn't work, it doesn't even give me clock speeds, they are all blank and say 0.00, and I cant select the PCI-X bus, my X1300 series cards SUCK! They can't do anything, and it has a crappy 64bit memory bandwidth, even though I have 512MB of Video ram on the [bleep] thing)

Also, do the softmod drivers work with any radeon card, incl. mine? Also, did they automatically improve your fps wthout you having to do anything apart from install them?

Edited by Casheti, 07 May 2006 - 03:01 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I really just would not bother with overclocking the card, its a x1300 its the bargain basement card of that series its not designed to be overclocked the better cards they design them to have a bit of overclocking in the x1300s they dont, and because of the physical stats and contruction of an x1300 they dont overclock well even when you can and you wont get alot of performace(you dont get alot from overclocking any gfx card really) but x1300s will be almost no difference unless you cool the thing till its frosty.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
actually its really simple use google and search for softmod drivers

i upgraded from catalyst version 5.2 (i think) to 6.4 this is where i got the drivers from

http://www.techpower...d/downloads.php

it has improved the frame rate a little remember my card is hopeless ( radeon 9550 )

but dont be mistaken and download the 64 bit version thats only for 64 bit windows and has nothing to do with the memory bus

but as warrior scott said it does allow you to control a little more like you ca set the card for quality or performance and there is little tweaks that you can do to improve it
you should expect much thou it wont be like buying a new card but it will definatly help
the website that i provided also tells you how to install it and there is also a FAQ section which you can browse.

there is one other program that i use and its callled riviatuner it works well for me and thats what i use to overclock most of the time ( im not sure if you have this i cant remember )
have you run the card with nay benchmarking program like 3DMark 03 i wouldnt suggest downloading 06 that is a really extensive grahics card program that has been desgned for the new generation high end cards i downloaded it and i can only get around 2 or 3 frames per second how {crap} see how your card performs under those situations
goodluck,
troppo

Edited by troppo, 08 May 2006 - 05:18 AM.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I can Overclock the core in Rivatuner, but the memory is greyed out. Wonder why?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well to tell you the truth i dont really no in your previouse post you said that the memory bus was 64bit your memeory might not be that stable for overclocking anyway. what is your default memory and core speeds anyway? and what have you been able to overclock the core to?

when you overclocked the core did you scan for artifacts using ati tool or manually trying to see them using 3dmark 03 ?

try updating your drivers and then get back to us,
troppo