Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the ol' slow computer

• Please log in to reply

adjustment

adjustment

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello,

My computer (Windows XP, Toshiba laptop) has been running very slowly. I ran AdAware and Spybot and they both found stuff and quarantined it. My computer still ran slow. I mean, real slow. I cleaned out the temp files and such and it still is slow. I can barely open anything and it takes about 15 minutes to start up. I ran Disk Defragmenter and I didn't have enough free space. I trashed a lot of stuff and got it to 18% free space but it could barely run and after over 24 hours and still sitting at 24% complete, I gave up. I ran a few online virus scanners and they have found nothing. I am willing to buy anti-virus software but I don't even know if it will fix this problem. I just don't know what to do. Yes, my computer is almost 4 years old but it was fine a week or so ago. I tried to System Restore but the last point is now yesterday. Oh, I did get a message yesterday saying there was an Intrusion Alert. I ran the programs again (virus scanners, spyware destroyers) and they still show nothing. Anyway, if someone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Ted

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have an anti virus programme?

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar throughout the file check, when the file check is complete, reboot the PC

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm on my way. One thing though. my disc drive doesn't work. I tried the sfc /scannow the other day without it but I doubt it worked properly. Any way around this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run Tune Up

Run chkdsk /f /r

Try sfc /scannow

If the drive won't run, try this

http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=15

If no change, check for a firware update for the drive

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay, I am working on this. Thanks so much. Should get back to you shortly. Just one other thing, if I buy a new computer, can I transfer all of of my music, pictures and word documents to a new laptop without the disc drive?

Ted

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, even if you have to upload from this PC and download to the new one

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
My computer won't allow me to run Tune Up. It said that it can't verify the program. I have it on my desktop. I am not sure why this won't work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you install this?

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well, something downloaded when I went to the page. Then I downloaded the three (well, two) files and they are on my desktop.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you choose run when you download so the install starts straight off

The link in post 8 is to check the installer is running

Advertisements

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The program just "failed"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The one in post 8?

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes, it took forever to get going, then once it started it, I think it said, "failed to catalogue."

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you run sfc /scannow and click skip and confirm when it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel

This will see if there are a number of files missing

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay, I just ran it. I ran it yesterday, too. Anyway, when it was done, it closed.