Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 will only start in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

youngm

youngm

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry to be so long-winded, but I thought I’d better give you the full story.

I desperately need help with my sister’s computer. She is recently out of hospital and dependent on her computer for contact. It uses Windows 98 operating system. She is currently only able to open it in ‘Safe Mode’. The computer came originally from her son about 2 years ago when he had bought himself a new computer with Windows XP. Unfortunately he hasn’t kept the Windows 98 installation disks.

When I switch the computer on the Windows 98 screen comes up. The next screen that comes up is black and contains data which says near the bottom “verifying DMI pool data”. Then the next screen to come up is totally black with a white cursor in the top left-hand corner.

I then cannot then switch the computer off other than at the mains supply. I then start all over again, and sometimes the screen that comes up after the one saying “verifying DMI pool data” says “Windows did not finish loading on previous attempt. Start in Safe Mode’. I start in Safe Mode and the box on the screen says :
“Windows is running Safe Mode. This special diagnostic mode of Windows enables you to fix the problem that is keeping you from starting Windows normally. The problem could be caused by your network or hardware settings. Make sure these settings are correct in Control Panel and then try starting Windows again..”

In Safe Mode I ran the System File Checker and it came up with “the following file may be corrupted: setupx.dll (can restore it from installation disk”)

The only changes made to the computer recently were a couple of weeks ago:
• Her son fitted a new video card to give her better colour quality
• He also downloaded the latest Norton security system from the internet (but didn’t 'install' it when
he found that it wasn’t compatible with Windows 98.)

Is it simply the corrupt setupx.dll file that is causing the problem? Will restoring this file from an installation disk fix the problem? If so, I will try and get Windows 98 installation disks from somewhere, perhaps from E-bay?

Many thanks for your help.

Marian

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Hi youngm :whistling:

Have you looked at this link? http://helpdesk.wisc...page.php?id=916

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok go to this site and download the file
if you have winzip unzip the file on the 98 computer to C:\windows\system
setup.dll
reboot

youngm

youngm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi youngm :whistling:

Have you looked at this link? http://helpdesk.wisc...page.php?id=916

Hi Jacee

I followed the instructions in the “Windows 98 – Restoring Deleted or Corrupted System Files with MS Systetm File Checker” document you suggested.

But I came to a halt at Item 9 - Restore File Box. The “Restore from” option C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\ wasn’t available. The only option available was D:\WIN98\. I clicked Browse and searched for the Windows cab files but couldn’t find anything.

I went onto Item 10, asking if the current file should be backed up, I clicked OK, then Item 11 came up saying that the folder did not exist, I clicked YES to create it. The System File Checker came up with "the file was not found. Verify that you have selected the correct "Restore from" location and try again."

So I am stuck there. The only option available seemed to be to insert the Windows 98 installation CD, which I explained earlier I didn’t have. Is my only alternative now to try and get hold of Windows 98 installation disks?

Thanks for your help.

Marian

youngm

youngm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

ok go to this site and download the file
if you have winzip unzip the file on the 98 computer to C:\windows\system
setup.dll
reboot

Thanks Peter

I'll try that next if I don't have any success with Jacee's suggestion.

Marian

ronch_dawg

ronch_dawg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Jacee!

I just wanted to say that link you set up was GREAT and it fixed my problem to in under 5 minutes. You saved my life, I owe you one :whistling:

Take it easy all,

Ronchi

Edited by ronch_dawg, 11 May 2006 - 12:25 PM.