Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I installed a CD-RW drive on my Windows 98 emachine computer. Now, I have two CD-rom drives, and one floppy disk drive. For some reason both of my Cd-rom drives work, but my floppy disk drive doesn't. What can I do?

Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Romeyrome...

Sounds like tou may have inadverently lossened a connection in there or, perhaps, connected the cable backwards.

Check your cables...make sure they are firmly seated in the connectors. The power lead to the Floppy will be opposite those on the cd-rom drives...that is, the red wire will be opposite where it is on the cd drive. On some motherboards, the ribbon cable can also be connected the "wrong way round", too.

Does the light on the floppy drive come on and stay on? Or does it not come on at all? If it comes on and stays on, it's probably the ribbon. If it doesn't come on, check the power lead.

wannabe1