Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer screen needs help!

• Please log in to reply

justme06

justme06

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm very careful to not touch my computer screen but now I just noticed that there is this grease covering the entire screen, (it's visible if you look from the side) I don't know why or how it got like this...this is gross !! HELP MEEE...what do i do to get it off? It's an LCD screen and I'm panicking!

Sorry I didn't know where else to post this topic Can anyone help? :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its just build up and not the actual screen itself(if its a new one with something like X-black coating that would be it) otherwise you clean monitors with a barely wet soapy cloth and then dry it.

justme06

justme06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If its just build up and not the actual screen itself(if its a new one with something like X-black coating that would be it) otherwise you clean monitors with a barely wet soapy cloth and then dry it.

Hey warriorscot,
thanks alot for replying! It's a new laptop but I'm not sure if it has X-black coating. I'm not so sure that soap and water is safe for LCD screens though, I heard that you shouldnt use just water or something?

Edited by justme06, 28 April 2006 - 03:58 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I use window cleaner... It does the job and no harm done.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its new, is like a kind of slick shiny coating on the screen a bit different from a normal monitor, alot have it its like a kind of wet look screen.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I've been told that plain water is best for LCD screens. Turn it off before you start cleaning it, and dry it before you turn it back on. I've done this a few times to mine and it looks great.

justme06

justme06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks alot for the advice everyone.

I use window cleaner... It does the job and no harm done.

You use window cleaner on an LCD computer screen?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt use window cleaner no, i just use soapy water as it gets stubborn marks of and doesnt run as much as water makes less mess but just water works up to you.

Just dont try and remove the coating on the screen if thats what you have it sometimes looks uneven on screens which makes people think it shouldnt be there.