Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard not responing

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
my keyboard aint working for some reason.... after i installed my sound card.
heres what i did..

took everything off. plugs, usb cords, power cord etc
installed my s-card
plugged everything backin
turned on comp

beforre the comp went to the window loading screen, i heard a beep.

it was working perfectly fine b4 i installed my s-card..

please reply asap im using on screen keyboard and i dont have ne spare keyboards

edit - its a ps2 plug

Edited by silencer.dot, 28 April 2006 - 04:10 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Can you clarify a couple of things please :

1. What is a screen keyboard?

2.Is the keyboard wireless by any chance?

3. Does the keyboard work before XP loads? i.e if you power the system on & press the key to enter the bios as soon as the monitor LED turns green, does the bios setup open? The keyboard you need to press is often the DEL key but may be a different one on your system (eg F1, F2, ESC, F10)

4. Have you checked the PS/2 connection for the keyboard? Have you connected the keyboard to the correct PS/2 port? i.e not the mouse port?

5. Have you checked the pins in the keyboard plug to make sure they are not bent?

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
1. its a on screen keyboard from the windows [i cant take a picture, sorry]
start > progam > accessories > on-screen keyboard

2. nope

3. the keyboard dosent work after i load xp, it was working this morning, till then i lefted the computer on

4. yes i checked the ps2 keyboard connection, i pluged it in and out. im positive it is connected to the ps2 keyboard port

5. it used to be bent, i just bended it back to its orginal position. it worked before though

Edited by silencer.dot, 28 April 2006 - 07:08 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. Can you tell me then...

Have you tried shutting down the system & powering back on again since the problem started? I assume you must have but I thought I'd better check.

Can you check the pins in the keyboard connector again to make sure that none of them have been bent again & none are missing or pushed in.

You still haven't told me whether the keyboard works before windows starts to load. i.e in the bios. Alternatively, if you have a bootable floppy disk, try booting from that & see if the keyboard works in command in DOS.

I assume you don't have access to another system (PC or laptop), but if you do, then try testing your keyboard on there.

Also, if you know what computer you have, please let me know. E.g if you have a branded system such as a Dell or HP, then let me know the model name/number. If it's not a branded system, then the motherboard make/model would be useful.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
thanks for your help, just now i saw that one of the pins were broken (yeah i posted above that i checked that it was fine, now i look really closer one pin was broken and missing lol), probaly that was the problem. i just bought a new keyboard now and its fine. i think its my ps2 keyboard plug... probaly somethings wrong with it or some sort.

anyways thanks for your help and time samm, i appericate it ^_^

Edited by silencer.dot, 29 April 2006 - 06:33 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. :whistling: