Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

lbcherokee

lbcherokee

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My Start/Taskbar keeps disappearing from desktop. It is there when I first log on. Sometimes it disappears after just a couple of minutes, sometimes after an hr or so. At the time of this posting it has been visible for an hr. CtrEsc will pull up the Start menu, not the taskbar. This problem started a wk ago after I updated to Norton Antivirus 2006. The settings for the Taskbar are keep on top, locked. AutoHide is deactivated. I tried SystemRestore, did not help. I do a lot of work w/photos and have several windows open. Not being able to switch back & forth is slowing things down a lot I have Dimension 8200 w/XP, DSL, 256 Memory although System info keeps saying it's more than 1/2 gone. My photos are all moved to CDs at end of each day.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Norton is not as reliable as it used to be. However, I will assume that Norton isn't to blame for this problem...and we'll look elsewhere for answers. Personally, I don't see how Norton could be responsible for this type of issue, but you did say that it started after you updated to Norton Antivirus 2006...

Let's see what we can find.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 April 2006 - 05:42 PM.

lbcherokee

lbcherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:whistling: I did the Hijac scan and tried to attach the file to a post in Malwear. It is being refused because of the extension. The only options I was given to save the file were All Files and Txt File. What should it be and how do I do it? By the way, the taskbar stayed on my desktop for 2 hrs this morning, suddenly disappeared for about 30 min. and then came back. This is the first time it has ever come back after disappearing. I appreciate your help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Strange...txt files are suppose to be attachable...

Put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder and attach now...except attach it here...it may not be malware related...

I'll check it out before sending you to the malware forum, if that is even needed.

lbcherokee

lbcherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok. Hope this is what you need. As I said I'm not used to doing some of this stuff. Most of my computer work involves photography and graphics.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I looked at your HijackThis log fairly quickly, nothing caught my attention. I will look again more thoroughly as soon as I find the time.

Till then, try this cleanup utility and see if it helps you:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

If it does not help you, the next time the taskbar disappears, record the exact time it occurs (the time on the computer) and then do the following:

Click on Start, Run, type eventvwr in the text box and then press Enter. Click on Application and see if there are any exlamation marks or red X's at the time when your taskbar disappeared. If there is an exlamation mark or X next to an item, double-click on that entry and copy the description of the error. Do the same thing for the System section. Post the description along with the source so I know what the description belongs to.

lbcherokee

lbcherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:whistling: I downloaded the Tuneup 2006 trial yesterday. So far, my taskbar has stayed where it belongs since I did most of the things in Tuneup. I didn't make the font smaller because I am legally blind in one eye and the bigger type just works better. That is a good website and I will probably buy a full version. Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. If the taskbar suddenly decides to disappear again you may be hearing from me.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Glad to hear it is working out for you :help:

And thank you very much for the donation! :blink: :)

If you need anything else, let us know. We're here for ya :whistling: