Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not Start XP all the way

• Please log in to reply

Cabron

Cabron

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
When trying to load windows it goes slow and then after the desktop comes up with all the icons it leaves a blank space at the bottom of the screen where the start button is.

A window pops up in the middle and says:

Windows Explorer

Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

then it goes on about telling micrsoft about the problem

if I click the button to see what the report contiains it has this:

Error Signature

EventType : InPageError P1 c000009c P2 : 00000003

Then more about reporting and when I click on view technical information about the error report the following comes up:

Error Report Contents

The following files will be included in this error report:

C:\docum~1\owner\locals~1\temp\WERfe9c.dir00\explorer.exe.mdmp
C:\docum~1\owner\locals~1\temp\WERfe9c.dir00\appcompat.txt

If I hit send or don't send either one the icons dissapear off the desktop, then the start button on the bottom of the screen reappears if I move the mouse over the bar on the bottom it turns to hourglass and the harddrive spins all the time. Then a few minutes later the icons will reappear, then a few minutes after that the same windows pops up again with the same messages.

I have tried it in safe mode with the same results. I can get it to start in safe mode with command prompt, but what can I do from there to help? I do not have the original disks that came with the system any longer but I do have the registartion key for windows. If I used a disk from another computer can I use the original registration key?

Please help

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Cabron...

Click Start then Run...type chkdsk /f (Note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Reboot

wannabe1

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
It will not do anything when I hit start the cursor stays as a hourglass :whistling:

The computer I am having trouble with is down can not do anything on it really, if I am lucky I can do an ctrl alt and del to bring up processes but that is the best I can get. Besides going into safe mode with command prompt..

Edited by Cabron, 28 April 2006 - 08:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oh...well that indicates a slightly different problem, but the chkdsk operation I suggested may still fix it.

Does pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete bring up the Task Manager for you?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

I can do an ctrl alt and del to bring up processes

Bring this up and click on "File" on the toolbar. Choose "New Task". Type cmd in the box and click "Ok".

In the window that comes up, type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) at the prompt and press "Enter".

When told that the drive is in use and can't be checked, type Y and press "Enter".

Reboot. This is a pretty long procedure and will run on bootup...be patient, let it finish.

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok this has been interesting, after several attempts to do the cmd command thru task manager to no avail I restarted the computer and it booted almost normal except for:

Quickset MFC Application
Quickset MFC has encountered a problem

Error signature
APPName : quickset.exe Appver 1.0.0.1 modname quickset.exe

Files included in report
C:\docum~1\owner\locals~1\temp\a6cd_appcompat.txt

I was able to go to Start Run and do chkdsk /f and it is restarting as of now.

And it is finished but did not seem to do anything out of the ordinary or take any longer to load than the last time.

I will try the chkdsk again

Ahh good news it is checking the file system this time

Edited by Cabron, 28 April 2006 - 09:23 PM.

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well it is all normal now :whistling: except for the quickset error, is there any checking I can do to see what happened or anything?

Well maybe all is not ok, some programs will not work, like norton internet security it like hangs

Edited by Cabron, 28 April 2006 - 09:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
quickset.exe is not required to run at startup. It's simply an executable that's placed in the system try to allow quick access to some of your settings. These settings can be accessed by more conventional means, as well.

If you wish to stop it from running at start up and eliminate the error: Click Start, then Run, type msconfig in the box, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look in the list for quickset.exe and uncheck the checkbox next to it. Apply the change and reboot. Upon startup, you will receive a "Selective Startup" dialog window...this is normal. Check the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Do your programs seem to be opening ok? No additional errors?

Edited by wannabe1, 28 April 2006 - 09:34 PM.

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I was editing some of my replys so you may have not noticed them.

Some programs do not work, like norton internet security.

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well I started wordperfect and the same windows explorer error box came up so far none of the programs I have tried has worked :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: Nope...didn't notice till you pointed them out...

From Task Manager/New Task, type explorer.exe and press "Enter". Does Windows Explorer open?

If yes, in the left pane, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (click on System32), locate and double click on the regedt32.exe icon. This should open the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor opens, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. If the value (under the Data column) is not Explorer.exe, double click on Shell, type Explorer.exe in the Value Data field, and click "Ok".

Close all open windows and reboot.

Let me know how this goes.

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No it explorer di not open it froze the system. Hard drive does not seem to be moving but have the hourglass icon and can do nothing

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok I ended the process drwtsn32.exe this allowed me to try the explorer again. it opened and I got into the explorer but then it froze again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try from command prompt. Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Then "File"..."New Task". Type cmd and click "Ok".

In the command window, type explorer.exe and press "Enter".

Does this open Windows Explorer without it hanging?

Edited by wannabe1, 28 April 2006 - 09:53 PM.

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
yes the windows explorer opens, but the system freezes and I can do nothing with it