Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not Start XP all the way

• Please log in to reply

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Found a XP home edition cd and done the repair with it. I had a couple errors come up

One was:

Com+ Setup Error

Sub-componet com+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_ISTALLATION setup message.

d:\nt\com\com1x\src\complusssetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406)

error code = 0x8007007f

The specified procedure could not be found.
Failed to load the library 'C:\windows\system32\catsrv.dll'.

Then I had a few files that could not b e copied like bluehill.jp_ but since it was all jpgs I did not worry about it much.

Now this is where I am at:

Update: Due to the proliferation of the Blaster and Welchia Worm/Virus be aware that a Repair Install will leave your system vulnerable. You can get infected within seconds. Do not go on line until you have enabled XP's firewall first.

After reading that I decide to start the firewall. off to control panel I go and double click windows firewall and a box pops up :

Windows Firewall

Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated services is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?

I click yes and :

Windows Firewall

Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service.

I click ok.

I go to control panel and administrative tools and click services

I scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) and right click and attempt to dtart the service. Then a nother box pops up and as so:

SERVICES
Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection SHaring (ICS) service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I click ok.

Right click again on it open the properties and then Dependencies tab and an error:

Service Dependancies
Win32: The depedancy service or group failed to start.

I click ok.

Hoping to determine what the dependant services are but it only shows a blank under the componets that this is dependant on.

Path to executable on this is C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

I open explorer.exe and I still do not have a C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder :blink:

I seem to have trouble with Norton Internet Security loading and probably some other things that I have not checked as of yet.
:whistling:

Advertisements

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I will be back on here shortly I am going to try to get some tools to run on this thing to check for malware, I am sure I will need their help too :whistling:

Cabron

Cabron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I guess this topic can be closed, I can get XP started all the way now. I have a few problems with windows still that needs to be worked out, but I think I will start in malware area and try to get it cleaned up.

Thanks for the help :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Terrific!

Get the machine all cleaned up and, if you are still having problems, come on back... :whistling:

wannabe1