Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

speed up old computer

• Please log in to reply

Bigjohncamp

Bigjohncamp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a IBM desktop windows 98 IDE 6.0 96 ram I have 91% resources left but the cpu
speed id 200mhz I want to know if you can speed up the CPU or is the the reason it's
slow loading web pages with pictures....John

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bigjohncamp...

It's time to retire ole Bessie. Ther's not much you can do to speed up a 200MHz processor and 96 MB of RAM just won't cut it with todays applications, most of which require 64MB or more to run.

The slow loading pages, particularly those that contain images or complex graphics, are probably a combination of low resources (RAM), the slow processor, and your connection speed.

Add to this the fact that Windows 98 will not be supported by Microsoft after July, and you end up with a very real possiblilty for trouble.

Put the old girl out to pasture and treat yourself to a new XP machine. You'll be amazed at the differenc! :whistling:

wannabe1