Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

In dire need of help

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I recently tried setting up a network in my house to make my life easier and reduce the amount of fighting the kids do over who uses the computer. We have just bought a new computer in the last few weeks in it runs amazingly. The problem is I set up the netowrk so that our old computer, about 6 or 7 years old, is on it too. I thought this would be fine, no problem at all, but I never realized how screwed up this computer is. In comparision to the new one, I would want to shoot the old one just to feel better. In order for it to get some of it's life back, I undertsand that I have to reformat the hard drive, the only problem being I've never done this before. I know it requires a boot disk or cd, and then windows instal cd. Well, another problem is that both computers didn't come with a windows cd, so I don't know what to do. I have to reformat this computer, it's the only way to solve my problems becasue there is just to much wrong with it. Can anyone offer me any help on what to do? It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. :whistling:

Advertisements

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
if you buy a computer already built then it usually comes with a restore cd or two instead of just a regular windows xp cd

you say the old computer is 6-7 years old
so im assuming that its running windows 98 or lower
im not sure what you can do with that one unless you have a cd for it
i think your pretty much out of luck

i say just shoot it
it will make you feel better temporarily lol

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Neither computer came with any kind of Windowds CD when I go them. All that was included for CD's were the printer software installation, a help CD, things like that. I have no CD's whatsoever. It's about 6-7 years old but it has XP Professional on it. There was a problem with it before and I had a technician look at it and he siad the only way to fix it was to install a new operating system on it. So I don't have any CD's, but I could probably get them I guess. I just need the basic Windows install CD, correct? If so I can probalby get my hands on one. So what would I do from there?

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes all you need is a windows xp pro cd and you need a cd key
i dont know if you got one when you got xp pro but you will need it
otherwise your going to need to buy it again, witch would be most unfortunate

if you get the cd and you have a cd key then you need to put in the cd and restart your computer
if the computer isnt set to boot from cd you will need to go into bios and change the boot order
some motherboards are different but you should need to press del or f2
it will tell you to press blank key to enter setup
then just look for a tab that says somthing about the boot order and make the cd drive first