Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update BIOS, need help

• Please log in to reply

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
I need to update my BIOS because my Athlon XP 2100+ is not being recognized. However, I cannot update the BIOS because I don't own a floppy and don't have another IDE cable to put a floppy on. I do have a flash drive. Is it possible to update the BIOS with a flash drive or a cd? Or is there another way.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there williesbest2. I also had the same problem.

When I tried to flash my BIOS my floppy was not working, I tried several ways but couldnt get it right. Then I tried using Ultimate Boot CD, and wala it worked. It was along process but it worked. If you need detailed information let me know. Cool

Ultimate Boot Cd

Updating/Flashing BIOS

Cool :whistling:

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Can you please give me detailed instructions? Thanks.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Cool williesbest2, I am busy on it as we speak, give me a few minuits and I will have it done for you. In the mean while download the "Ultimate Boot CD"

Cool :whistling:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Ok williesbest2, I am back. Its amazing how fast I did it this time from the first time I tried to flash my BIOS.

Ok, when you have downloaded "UB-CD" copy it to a disk. I also assume that when you downloaded the program to flash your BIOS you read the instructions that came with it. (This is very very important)

> Copy the files given to you by your motherboard company to "C:\flash\" (You will have to make a new folder)
> Restart the computer and set your CD-Rom to first boot priority
> When UB-BC has come up press "F6" to open "[Dos/Linux Boot Disks]"
> Then press "F2" to open "[MadBoot Floppy v8.0]" (It does not matter if version not the same)
> While its loading it will give you options, select "6. Boot with emm.386 (Max Memory)"
> It will come up with another screen wich will give you other options, you will now be able to use your cursor. Near to the bottom select "Exit to DOS"
> A sought of command prompt will come up type in "D:"
> The get into your "flash" folder

From there the files will be visible and ready to be able to flash your BIOS, make sure you read all the instructions given to you when downloading the program to aviod any problems.

If you had any problems or need more information on a certain section, let me know. Cool :whistling:

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Hi spike. This didn't work. The numbers that were given were not available. It was 1-4. And F2 was not a floppy starter it was DOS. Everything up until that matched.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there again williesbest2, sorry about that you must have a diffrent version from mine, I guess mine is a bit outdated.

I will download the new one now and I will get back to you. But for now try and go through all the options and find [MadBoot Floppy] maybe they just changed the [Dos/Linux......] so look through them all and you should find it.

Let me know if you manage to find the answer, if not I will get back to you with another solution. Cool :whistling:

Edit: Sorry, I understand what you said now, that there is no MadBoot Floppy, I am downloading a the new one and I will give you instruction. Sorry about the inconvinience.

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 30 April 2006 - 01:31 AM.

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
All right. I'm awaiting instructions.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, you know the malware guys around when the posts are so polite, lol.

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Lol @ warriorscot.