Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ipod as a backup hardrive

• Please log in to reply

madiun

madiun

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For a while i was meaning to purchase an ipod on the grounds that not only is it a music device,
that it also great for a backup hardrive 30gb, as an ipod video.

But can you use it as a backup hardrive on your pc? is there a special tool or progream to put fles on ur ipod?

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
When you format your ipod you can choose whether you want to use it as an itunes based music player only or you can choose to be able to use it as a portable hard drive as well. As a hardrive you can access it with Windows explorer (I'm presuming you're on a PC).

By backup do you mean you want to store a backup of your harddisk or just as extra capacity?

BTW It's worth looking at the ipod forum on Apple's website (you'll find the links there). It'll tell you everything about ipods and more (including the issues some users have with their ipods).

hope this helps

digikiwi

madiun

madiun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well im wanting to use it as a bit of extra capacity,
i mean i only have about 4 gigs of music, and the rest of the 30 gigs will go to waste if i cant use it as extra HD space.
like when you plug ur ipod in does it show up in my computer as an external hardrive? and will you be able to use it like you would any other usb device?????

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
[/quote]when you plug ur ipod in does it show up in my computer as an external hardrive? and will you be able to use it like you would any other usb device?????[quote]

Yes it does and yes you can.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
If you want your ipod as both, you can use it like a normal iPod (Putting music on through iTunes) and also use it as a harddrive, you just have to click my computer, find your ipod and put files into the folder.