Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD 0x0000007B at Windows splash screen

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, this morning I turned on my computer, and about 1 second after the splash screen appeared, I got a blue screen with the code 0x0000007B - this happens every time, including last know good config and safe mode. I had not installed any new hardware or software since I last booted and everything was fine, with no problems whatsoever.
There was no error message with the code, but I believe it signifies the "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error.
It is a Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA HDD connected as SATA1 master. There are 2 partitions on this drive, one with Windows Media Centre Edition, and one with XP Pro. I can boot to the XP Pro partition, and I have run chkdsk on the Media Centre partition, with no errors, and I can access all the files on the partition as well.

The boot.ini is correct, but I have tried bootcfg /rebuild and fixboot from the recovery console anyway, and I still cannot boot. I also have a Maxtor SATA drive connected to the "SATA3" port on my motherboard, which appears as SATA3 Slave in the BIOS/CMOS (can't remember which menu). I didn't think SATA could be master/slave but that's what the BIOS says. The other options in the BIOS are SATA2 Master, and SATA4 slave - which should my second HDD connect to - master or slave?

Anyway the other drive is not the issue, because I still get the error when it is completely disconnected. I cannot boot to my Media Centre partition with the drive connected to any of the 4 SATA ports, but I CAN boot from the XP partition.
I am baffled as to why this has suddenly occurred!
Any ideas?
Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 29 April 2006 - 12:15 PM.

Advertisements

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I have noticed that when I am in the XP Pro partition (which I will be, until I can get back into Media Centre), I can hear 14 short, quiet beeps in succession, over about 4 seconds, every minute or so - coming from the system somewhere, I can't pinpoint exactly where. Anyone know what this means?

Edited by tomdrayson, 29 April 2006 - 12:16 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
The full error code is:
0x0000007B (0xBACE3524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

http://support.micro...=122926&sd=RMVP

SRX660

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply - I have actually looked into this problem quite a lot, I always try to do my own research before asking other people to do it for me! Naturally, the first place I looked was the Microsoft knowledgebase...
I do not have any viruses, including boot viruses (according to Norton Antivirus). Other possible causes listed include IRQ confilcts, corrupt file system or registry, or damaged hardware. But I can boot fine into another partition on the same disk, and access all my files on the problematic partition. Chkdsk found no problems. I am confident that there is no damage/corruption to my disk, which leads me to believe there is another issue causing this error. Any ideas?
Thanks