Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of Connection ONLY IN GAMES

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I have a Dell computer that meets all the sys specs of all the games I play. However, my internet connection seems to be failing when i'm playing in games. I can connect to servers and play for up to an hour but then my connection will simultaneously fail. It's quite annoying, especcially since I have a clan and i'm often having to drop out of matches. Here's my setup: I have a wireless 2wire router which I use for my laptop and it connects me to the internet for my desktop (although my desktop is connected via a wire from the router). the router goes through the ceiling and connects me to the internet for my desktop (with 1 phone CAT-6-7 wire) and my laptop wirelessly. I recently put some games on my laptop to see if it was the connection to the desktop that was messed up or the main connection from my ISP (which i might add is SBC Yahoo DSL). When i put CSS on the laptop everything was fine (i was able to plya all day with no problems). So, I thought i'd go to bestbuy and get a new CAT 6-7 phone line to connect my computer and router. i did so and my connection was better (slightly) but it still fails when I play games. One last thing: I can leave instant messengers and programs using the internet on all day with no problems, so it only happens during games. So..any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

Edited by MR0624, 29 April 2006 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Widows firewall- allow all games as exceptions
most games don't like going through routers.
Turn off anti-virus when playing online games, they will inferfere

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I have no choice about the routerll, I need to use it for my laptop. Windows firewall wouldn't allow me to initially play the game via an internet connection if it was blocking the game and I always keep anti virus disabled. Thanks anyway though...

oh and btw, i talked to my ISP about it and they said that my connection was idling and they checked a few settings and said that my connection thinks that its not being used because when i play games i'm not phisically surfing so he said to leave a web page open (one that refreshes itself occasionally). i did so and it didn't work. My router settings are also set to never time out so it shouldn't be [bleep]ing (pardon my langauge..) up like this..

thanks!!
Michael

Edited by MR0624, 01 May 2006 - 06:41 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, first off sbc yahoo is about clueless. its an always on connection. you proved its not your connection by using your laptop.

So its something on your desktop. I stongly suspect that is your nic in your desktop. you might try a different nic to see if that helps. The only antivirus issue that I have ever run into is with Norton and its worm scanning feature. Are you using any firewall software other than windows xp?

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Nope i'm not using any other firewall software. Btw, what do you want me to do with my nic? Buy a new one and install a new one?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Thats what I was leaning toward. Normal applications don't have the constant traffic communication that games generate. I have several friends that were having several issues of similar nature. Utlimately they replaced thier nic and their problems went away. Nic's are cheap enough to make this a worthy troubleshooting step.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I'm gonna look around on some tech sites for a good cheap nic but if you happen to find a link..that would be great..i'm not sure what to look for.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Alright, i've gotta get going, i looked on a few sites but didn't find much...I didn't even see much on Newegg..i think i'm just too stupid to know where to look.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
How's this look: http://www.newegg.co...&SubCategory=27 ...the top one on that page..

Edited by MR0624, 04 May 2006 - 06:45 AM.