Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting from CD in Virtual PC - real system restarts

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, if I select either a REAL optical drive, or a VIRTUAL drive with a mounted image for Virtual PC to boot from, my REAL system automatically restarts when Virtual PC tries to boot. Nothing has ever automatically restarted this system before and "Automatically restart" is unticked under "System failure" in startup and recovery options. There is a similar option in the BIOS which is also disabled. There are no error messages or other indications. It is strange because it does the same thing with a real CD or an ISO on my hard drive mounted to a virtual drive, so it can't be a problem with the hardware.

I have obviously tried deleting/recreating the virtual hard disk, deleting/recreating the virtual machine, and uninstalling/reinstalling Virtual PC - no luck.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Edited by tomdrayson, 30 April 2006 - 05:09 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try booting froma real factory cd, like windows xp. if your hw supports booting from cd, this should work unless you have a bad cdrom. Boot from cd is only supported with hw. in otherwords unless you are using a boot menu option, virtual pc won't work.