Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen resolution stuck on 640x480

• Please log in to reply

onetime4yourmind

onetime4yourmind

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A few days ago booted my PC (XP OS) and the display was very grainy. Found that this was because the parameters were set at 640x480 resolution and 4 bit colour. i tried to reset these to optimal values, but when I press apply the screen goes blank for a few seconds then returns with the same low resolution. Oddly immediately after this there comes the little pop up asking if I want to keep the 'new' settings, even though the settings haven't changed. I tried the option where the computer restarts after changing the settings, but once again it started in low resolution. I tried the option in the XP startup menu which says something like 'restart windows with last functional parameters' but this doesnt work either. If I open in safe mode i get normal resolution, but unfortunately cant really do anything else with the computer. I cant find any viruses on my machine. I'm completely stuck so any help would be deeply appreciated.
Cheers, jon

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried reinstalling your video drivers? Sounds like the drivers have been corrupted.

SRX660

onetime4yourmind

onetime4yourmind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry could you please tell me how to do that? I'm not very computer-literate.
thanks

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there onetime4yourmind, what graphics card do you have?

onetime4yourmind

onetime4yourmind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
mobile intel ® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Ok go here and follow the instuctions:

http://downloadfinde...?ProductID=1862

When you have downloaded and installed the drivers let me know if your problem has been solved. Cool :whistling:

onetime4yourmind

onetime4yourmind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
spike hacker, thanks for the advice and sorry to bother you, but i couldn't install the graphics card i downloaded. install wizard said that the driver couldnt be installed on this computer. I also tried to install it manually as suggested by the readme instructions, but this didnt work either, because what i downloaded was not a zip file but an application, so i couldnt find the .inf file that was needed. or something like that. thanks again and if you've got any further suggestions i'd appreciate it.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

sorry to bother you

No problem, you not bothering me at all.

Try downloading this one:
http://www.soft32.co...4-178908-1.html

Cool :whistling:

onetime4yourmind

onetime4yourmind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorted!

thanks, you people are good.