Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing Sound Driver - how to find right driver?

• Please log in to reply

Brettmo

Brettmo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have XP and some how the sound driver is missing - I have looked in control panel/ device manager and am trying to work out how to find the name of the driver i need to re-install - can anyone help??? Thanks.

I have attached a word doc with 2 screen grabs from control panel.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Brettmo! Welcome to G2G!

Next, download install and run Everest Home Edition, which you can download using the link in my signature. Once you have it running, click on REPORT and the Report Wizard should run. When you come to the REPORT PROFILES page of the wizard, make sure you have radio button next to System Summary Only selected. Then click NEXT, you can leave HTML selected and click FINISH. The report will then be generated and a new window will appear. In this new window that appears, click SAVE TO FILE and save the report as REPORT.HTM somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Please ATTACH this file to your reply.

Fenor

Brettmo

Brettmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Report attached - thank you

Hi Brettmo! Welcome to G2G!

Next, download install and run Everest Home Edition, which you can download using the link in my signature. Once you have it running, click on REPORT and the Report Wizard should run. When you come to the REPORT PROFILES page of the wizard, make sure you have radio button next to System Summary Only selected. Then click NEXT, you can leave HTML selected and click FINISH. The report will then be generated and a new window will appear. In this new window that appears, click SAVE TO FILE and save the report as REPORT.HTM somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Please ATTACH this file to your reply.

Fenor

Attached Files

Brettmo

Brettmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Find report Attached - Thank You

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You should be able to download the driver for your SiS7012 audio driver HERE. If it doesn't work for you let me know.

Just extract the files from the zip file and then run the SETUP.EXE file and follow the onscreen instructions.

Fenor

Brettmo

Brettmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried this and it has 2 errors and then closes - see the attached screen grabs.

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That driver should of worked...

Did you buy your computer prebuilt from a company like Dell or Gateway or whatever? If so, please give me the make AND model number. An example of this would be a Dell Dimension 3000.

Fenor

Brettmo

Brettmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No - it's a local guy who builds systems - should i go back and get him to re-insatll the drivers?

Brettmo

Brettmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I say guy - he's a good reputable company locally here

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That would probably be best. I will look into different drivers for your card in the mean time. If I find one i will post it here for you to try. Let me know when you have gone to the guy who made your computer so I know if you have the sound working yet or not.

Fenor

Brettmo

Brettmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your help - Do you know anything about how to get rid of - icoonet.com - it seems to be redirecting some of my google searches - i have deleted all references to it i could find - have tried, spybot, adaware, spy ferret, trend micro online, hijak this(can't see it there)

Everything i can find says it's icoo loader - but can't seem to get rid of it.

I'm new to forums too - first time - is there another forum for this?
Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, there is another forum for problems like that. It is the Malware Forum. Make sure you do all of the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

Fenor