Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High cpu temps

• Please log in to reply

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Well like it says my cpu runs very hot
with just media player running on a warm day it gets to 59 C

I need to know how to lower this cause when it starts to be 100+ degrees outside i dont think my computer will be able to handle it

When i got a new mobo i didnt get thermal gel to put on my heatsink again so if i applied some more would it make a good difference

I also have another fan i could put in my comptuer
where should i place it though?
the back of the case or the side, and should it be sucking in air or blowing it out?

What kind of temps should i see with this processor anyway?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

When you changed the motherboard, ideally you should have removed all traces of the old thermal compound & replaced it with fresh stuff. Motherboards never do come with thermal compound, you only normally get this supplied with heatsinks.

I suggest you buy some good quality thermal paste, such as Arctic silver 5 or similar. Whichever one you get, make sure it is suitable for your cpu & is silver, rather than silicone based.
You can also buy a solution for removing old thermal compound.

The link below is to Arctic's instructions page. This will give the the proper procedure for removing & applying fresh paste :

http://www.arcticsil...nstructions.htm

Apart from the cpu compound, I suggest you also look at providing better airflow in the case. You said you have another fan you can put. Where you place the fan depends on what fan mounting areas are available in the case. Essentially though, you want to have the air blowing in one end (normally the front) & blowing out at the other end. Do not have the fans all blowing inwards or all blowing outwards.
Also check for obstructions to the air flow, typically ribbon cabling etc that may be hanging down & obstructing the flow of air.

Finally, make sure you clean out any dust that has built up in the case, especially around the case fans, cpu heatsink/fan, power supply fan etc. Use a can of compressed air to clean the dust out.

Re. cpu temps. The lower the better obviously, but you should aim to keep the cpu temp below a max of 50C under load, and around 35 to 40C max at idle.