Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD/DVD drive issue. Help plz

• Please log in to reply

losted

losted

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi,

As the title suggested, my computer TOTALLY freezes when reading any type of cd/dvd, can't even open the dvd drive, mouse won't move, processor isn't running, forced to restart. Here is a more detailed explanation:

1. Never had this problem until today morning (Apr 29th), I was inserting an actual DVD (dvd player formatted) to play on my computer. It wwas working fine for almost an hour, and the total freeze came in.
2. Tried to reboot, insert it back, after a little while (like 2 mins) the freeze came in again. I gave up on it and went down to view it on my dvd player.
3. Just before now ( 7:00pm ), I wanted to install software from a CD, it was installing for a while then the freeze kicked in again. Now I'm starting to notice it's the CD/DVD drive's problem.
4. I rebooted, didn't even run the CD drive, just a few moments after startup, totally frozen again.
5. Rebooted without CD in drive, and it's working fine (like right now i'm able to write this :whistling: )

I've never encountered any problems like this. Is it caused by hardware problem? It's a LG DVD rw drive.

Please help me out. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Try updating the drives firmware. Tell me te exact model of CD/DVD drive and i will give link to download the latest firmware for it

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you first of all. Here is the model number(i think): GSA-4163B

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Go here http://forum.rpc1.or...ownload_id=1973
and download the A106 firmware. after you download the file run it but make sure there is no CD/DVD in the drive

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
the driver is updated, but unfortunately I still have the same problem. The only thing different this time is that after my comp froze, it restarted itself rather than me pushing the restart button.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You say the problem started on 29th. What have you changed on your PC . have you installed new software or new hardware

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well, I haven't used my dvd drive for a while I think and today was when I used it. I haven't installed any new software, but I have done a few system restores, I tend to do a system restore when I get error or comp freezes. One thing that changed was, a lot of my files were "short-cutted", like in accessories you would see notepad, then notepad(2); in some software folders, you would see uninstall then uninstall (2), some of them even has double (2) like uninstall(2)(2). I think the system restore messed up a bit, not sure if this relates to anything. My drive was working fine for almost 1 hour, so I assumed that it happened today. The DVD I was watching was made in China I think, it's a video of my dad's university mates' 20 years after getting-together thing. I didn't know what the format was, but dvd drive should view it, which it did using nero showtime. The dvd's two sides looked the same, except for the used side has the ring printed. I don't really know what caused the problem. sadly.... :whistling:

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I just found this under my dvd/cd-rom devices in the device manager

PP3388Z JPV945V SCSI CdRom Device

Is this normal, or might have been this that's causing the problem? I dont' remember seeing this but I'm very unsure.

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello? anyone wanna help?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I was working on a friends Dell computer a few months ago. When I put my utility disc in, the pc locked up. I rebooted and it locked up again. I always carry two different brands of cd's so I got out my other utility disc and the pc didn't lock up. The brand that I have the fewest problems with is K-Hypermedia.

Does your pc lock up on different brands of cd discs? In other words, does it lock up regardless of which brand cd you put in?

<<PP3388Z JPV945V SCSI CdRom Device

Is it a scsi drive? What else shows up under 'dvd/cd rom drives' in device manager?

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
You might want to take a look at this:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=132882

How old is this drive? It might be time for a new drive if it has worked for a few years and now doesn't. It's hard to say.....

Some people still use cd-rom drives. Usually....when I encounter a problem with one of these drives, I just swap it out and the problem is corrected. It's not worth my time to fiddle with something for a couple of hours when I can swap it out in 10 minutes. cd-rom drives are cheap these days. Your drive, being a dvd/cd drive, is more expensive so I wouldn't necessarily be so fast to swap it out....but it may come down to that.....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Thinking about it....the first thing to check are the power and cable connections. Shut down and remove the cable are re-install it. It's rare that a cable goes bad but it's possible. You might want to try a different cable.....

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The microsoft's problem description sounds somewhat like mine, but there are some differences. As to your other questions:

All cd/dvd types happens to have this problem when inserted. (so it doesn't lock up brands)
Under CD/DVD devices I see these:
PP3388Z JPV945V SCSI CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
This drive is about 8 months new if the guy who assembled it didn't use old parts. (bought from a store like PCCyber in Waterloo)

As to how microsoft's solution doesn't solve this, it's for win98/95/ME. I don't think it's the power and cables because of the following scenario I just encountered:

When I insert the CD and start installing (warcraft3-bascially copying files), it was working fine, I left it alone until it finished (:blink:), just as I was about to click on "No" for not putting an icon on the desktop, the computer freezes, like the microsoft says "hangs". Nothing I do will be recognized by the machine, total freeze. Now come to think of it, it is everytime I do even the simplest operation (simple enough to just move the mouse) with a CD/DVD in the drive, it freezes. I am still having some confusions of how it freezes, but that was a new found.
I am going to check the power and cable connections anywayz though it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks for all the help so far, hope this can be solved..... it really bothers me now.(:whistling:)

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The red light that normally flashes when your system is processing something stays red, doesn't flash, just glowing red. Does this explain anything?....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Sorry about that link. I some times will speed-read and miss critical info.

If you don't use that drive at all (no disc in the drive), will the pc lock up?

Edited by macten, 30 April 2006 - 09:57 AM.