Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please. urgent. windows ME.

• Please log in to reply

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hello, fellow humans of earth. i... have made a bad choice.. i downloaded something called uhh.. i think it was called drivescrubbed, anyways, what it does is, its kinds like formatting your drive, except with drivescrubber you can NEVER get your data back. so now my computer doesnt work because i deleted all the system folders and everything like that. I do have a windows ME install disk, and a bootdisk floppy, and if anyone knows how i can get my computer to work again, that would be suuuppppeerrr sweet!.

Thanks, oliver P.
[e-mail removed]

Edited by Michelle, 29 April 2006 - 10:47 PM.

Advertisements

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hello, i need help. i accidently deleted everything on my computer, which is windows ME. i have a bootdisk and the cd for windows ME, if anyone knows how to get back the system folders i lost, pleeease tell me.

Thank you, Oliver_P.
[e-mail removed]

Edited by Michelle, 29 April 2006 - 10:46 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello .ู.Oliver_P.ู....

Start the machine with the Startup disk in the floppy drive and the ME cd in the cd-rom drive. It will boot to the floppy.

At the Startup Options screen, choose to "Start with cd-rom support".

At the A:\ prompt, type e: and press "Enter".

At the E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter". The Windows installation should begin.

ME will install over itself and should leave your data intact.

wannabe1

Leo Albert Jackson Jr

Leo Albert Jackson Jr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Do you need anything special from the hard drive??

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
heyy, i dont think i need anything special :S anyway, thanks wannabe1! im gunna go try that out right now

:whistling:
Oliver_P.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
it doesnt work :whistling: it just says something about wrong drive specification. Blah. any other ideas:P
thanks anyways

Oliver_P.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At what point do you get the error? Do you have more than one HDD on the machine? Does the HDD you have installed have more than one partition on it? What drive letter is normally asigned to the cd-rom drive in My Computer?

Let's try a different Start up Disk...the Win98SE disk seems to work a little better for this than the WinME disk.

Download this Win98SE OEM bootdisk and save it to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file and put a new, formatted floppy disk in the floppy drive when prompted to do so by the application. This will create a new startup disk to use when installing the OS.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
okay, ill try doing that, i think i have a 98 disk actually. what is the HDD.

thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
HDD = Hard Disk Drive or Hard Drive. if you have more than 1, we'll need to adjust the drive letter we use acoordingly.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ohh yeah, i just have one, but 3 show up (E, D, C) i think that my cd drive might be.. F im not sure

Advertisements

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
okay, i cant find my 98 disk, and my computer i am on, is mac, so there is no floppy drive... can i put that file on cd :S
i cant make question marks, srrry.
Oliver_P.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...a cd won't work for this as there is no cd-rom support until it's loaded from the floppy. Do you have access to another machine you could use long enough to download and create the Startup Disk?

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
well, there is an internet cafe, but its closed sunday, and im going camping for a week tomorrow morning, but ill try when i get back...
thnx Oliver_P.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Startup Disk will create a Virtual Ram Drive which will move all drive letters up one letter. If your cd-rom is normally F:, it will be G: using the Startup Disk. That being the case, you will start the machine with the Startup Disk in the floppy drive and choose the "Start with cd-rom support" from the Options Screen. That will take you to an A:\ prompt.

At A:\, type G: and press "Enter".

At G:\, type setup.exe and press "Enter".

Installation should begin.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

.ู.Oliver_P.ู.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
okay, got the 98 disk, i did that and it says a buncha stuff, then it says its starting, and it might take a few minutes,
it then says these files are corrupt becaue there is something wrong with config.sys

Display.sys
Country.sys
Mode.com
Mode.com
KeyB.com

Oliver_P.