This has been going since I had this configuration of computer and programs (more than a year)
Seems to be spellcheck related.
Open the second document in Word it starts to open, stops and then takes ages to complete opening.
Start an email in Outlook2003 with Word engine editor setting on and Word open.
I work in two languages, and at first didn't have the second langauge dictionary. I thought this was the problem so I installed the Proofing tools. Problem still remained.
Sometimes if I leave the frozen document for some time, several minutes or longer, it auto clears. Sometimes not.
Sometimes when I open Word the window size seems to have been remembered from my Outlook email window size.
I turned off Word in Outlook and the situation improved, ie was less frequent.
I have tried all levels of reinstalling the programs, I have tuned up my system.
I have posted this on other forums and had no successful replies.