Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 OS one died HELP

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I had two operating systems on one computer. on seperate partiions. my hard drive is 80gb. and i made my new partition which was going to be for windows xp pro 25gb. the other 55gb were being used by windows xp home (the OS that came with the cpu). It worked like a charm, until i found out i neede more space for xp pro so i used a program called "bootitng" to resize,format,delete,etc with partitions. So i booted bootitng and found out i had more than two partitions! I had my main one for xp home which i recognized, the bootit partition which i also recognized and then there was one called " de lect" and i thought what the heck? and there was another one called "Windows XP Pro" so i tried making " de lect" smaller so i could make "window XP Pro" (i had 30gb free because before i installed xp pro i took off 30gb from my main partition and never used them). Ok so after that was done i rebooted and when the window asking me if i wanted to boot XP Home or Xp Pro i selected xp pro and i was shocked. it said there was a hard drive error and could not read the boot sector. So i want back to bootitng and resize everything like it was before. and tried t boot XP Pro and i got an error message saying "Could not find hal.dll" and i had to reboot. i removed that entry from my boot.ini file because i thought id never get it back. fortunatly i was constantly backing up my files to my XP Home so it wasnt a horrible situation. i was wondering if you guys had any ideas to get MY FILES NOT OS JUST FILES back because i dont want to mess around with my partitions i learned my lesson, but if its absoluty necesery i might do it. Know theres 20gb free in a partition thats not formated, in other words they cant be used right now. and in currently using 60gb for my XP Home. Any suggestions would be greatly accepted, i have tried various file recovery and partition recovery tools with no result. THANKS :whistling:

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Oh and by the way my drive letter was L:\ and i later found "de lect" was part of an extended partition that was for mw windows xp pro, so i found out i had practicly deleted the partition and the resized it. forgot that part sorry. :whistling: :blink:

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Well, now you know that messing with partition programs can be bad for you OSs' healths.

I can recommend the use of Partition Magic. Its easy to use and very fast. It can add, delete and resize partitions.

BTW, other than out of curiosity, there is absolutely no need to have both XP Pro and Home at the same time. Pro has no extra capabilities for a user who is not on a corporate LAN.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ill tell you why i had xp pro and home. Two simple reasons.

1) My Xp Home is in spanish and xp pro in english, i did not want to eliminate xp home of my machine.

2) My brother uses xp home and had a lot of stuff on there he didnt want to dlete either.

Anyway if i ever need those other 20gb of space ill edit the partitions again but if i dont need to i will not do it

Thanks -OCM770-