Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How Do I Get Rid Of AOL?

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

Okay, done that. Makes a difference to what though?

Btw, thanks for your help so far... I do apprieciate it :whistling:

I am just trying to figure out what is going wrong with AOL. Is the machine working better?

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I'd say about the same. Although, it's been acting weirdly today. I turned it on and it booted up as normal and everything and it was fine for a couple of hours. Then, I put it into hibernation (to save power) while I had my dinner and turned it on an hour or so later.

Ever since then it's been doing stuff really slow. I tried to send/recieve with Outlook and it got stuck and I had to restart, Opera loaded, but when I opened three tabs it was closed and it asked me to send an error report. I decided to leave those for a bit, and went on MSN Messenger to get help with a maths coursework thing from a friend and this loud fan noise started coming from the side... normally it's really quiet like there's no fan on (there probably is, but it's barely noticable).

I turned it off and left it again, this time for about 30 mins, switched it on and opened Outlook, Opera and MSN Msgr with no problems other than they're going a bit slow. I ran a Windows Defender scan, and an Ad-Aware scan (I think Windows Defender is beta- so I don't trust exactly what it says yet. Whenever it goes to get information from SpyNet, it just says "Unavailable") and they found nothing, apart from some tracking cookies.

I dunno what's happened to it. It's being really weird. Any ideas? I still need to get my maths done yet... lol.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 04 May 2006 - 04:11 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

Hi, I bought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and it came pre-installed with a load of software that there's no way I'd ever use, including AOL. I managed to get everything else uninstalled, but AOL won't go.

Hi o2mcgovern. I have a few questions. When you said that you bought a new laptop, do you mean you bought it at a store? Was it an open box item? Did you buy it from a friend? The reason I'm asking is that you are experiencing a great number of problems with such a new machine.

Did you get in the registry and change or delete some items?

I need to know exactly what you did. You shouldn't have such problems if you just went to add/remove programs and removed AOL.

I'm thinking that if I had additional information, I might be better able to assist you. Thanks. :whistling:

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi again,
It was brand-spankingly new when I ordered it at a shop. It was delievered in a box, and I had like a setup Windows thing that came up with an annoying little question mark that was whizzing round the screen. Once done, I started customising it. For some reason stuff like Tray Icon Hiding was turned off and stuff like that... I think that the manufacturer can set it to have these things turned off.

I got it working like my desktop computer, but I hadn't copied any files over or installed/unistalled any programs yet. I went to add/remove programs and uninstalled everything that I wasn't going to use that came installed... I don't think they should be able to bundle programs with new computers. There was an antivirus program (they wanted me to pay for it... yeah right), home cinema suite, home dvd suite and some other stuff. I installed avast, Windows defender, Ad-Aware SE, Opera, FireFox (for stuff that doesn't work in Opera), Office 2003, CCleaner, Quicktime, Real, Live Messenger and Skype. I think that's it... that's all I can remeber anyway. AOL wouldn't uninstall :whistling: .

The only peripherals I installed were a notebook webcam and a wireless network card thing. I've used a USB hard-disk drive, and a USB flash disk with it too, but it setup that itself when I plugged them in.

I haven't installed or messed with anything since really. I created a couple of user accounts for my family but that's it. I haven't been in the registry I know not to go there... I don't even use the registry thing in CCleaner. I don't know how to properly use it, and bad stuff can happen if you mess with it (so I've been told.)

Oh, and the stuff in my last post's all stopped. It's gone back to normal and working fine again. Spooky, eh?

I'm gonna have another go at uninstalling it, see if anything happens this time. I'll post back later.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Nope, still doesn't go :whistling:

It says "Please wait while we look for versions of AOL on your computer. No changes are being made to your computer at this time." and after about 30 seconds, it says an error has occured in AOL Unistaller and that I should send an error report.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 05 May 2006 - 05:12 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Are you disabling your anti-viral or your windows defender while you try to uninstall? Try that. May be keeping it from uninstalling.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Oh, good idea! I'll try that now. I hope it works.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
No, same thing happened again.

Btw, do you know what those two hat thingys are under Member on the left?

Edited by o2mcgovem, 05 May 2006 - 06:46 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
found this on aol site: (btw: the more posts, the more hats) :whistling:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. (Windows XP users, click Start, and then click Control Panel.)

2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.

3. Select AOL in the list of installed software, and then click Add/Remove. The AOL Uninstall program will start and search for versions of the AOL software on your computer.

4. On the Uninstall AOL window, click each version of the AOL software you wish to remove. Be sure to indicate which files you would like to keep as back-up such as Downloaded Files, Filing Cabinet files, etc… If you wish to delete them as well, then unselect them by removing the check marks in the boxes next to these options. After you make your selections, click “Next”. The versions you chose will be removed.

5. Click Finish.

6. Click OK to close the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
That's what I'm doing... but it gets stuck at stage 3.

aol_1.png

I dunno why, a box just comes up saying "AOL Uninstaller has encountered errors and will be closed" (or something like that). On the error report window, I clicked the link to find out what this report contains and this was at the top, :whistling: doesn't make any sense to me... but it might to you?

AppName: aolunins_uk.exe
AppVer: 1.0.0.0
ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
Offset: 0002ae22

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
This is not my area of expertise, but I'm thinking you have already uninstalled it...have you gone to the aol help page to see if this is a common error? I am not finding anything.

Is your computer running OK otherwise?

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I've checked out the AOL Offline Help (which is included with the browser) and there's nothing in there. I tried to access the AOL Help site about 5 mins ago (16:45) and I couldn't get on. It says...

There was an error processing your request. Please return to AOL Help and try again

java.util.MissingResourceException || Can't find bundle for base name NavigationMenu, locale en_GB
at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(null:-1)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(null:-1)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(null:-1)
at com.kanisa.action.NavigationMenuAction.logEvent(NavigationMenuAction.java:72)
at com.kanisa.action.NavigationMenuAction.execute(NavigationMenuAction.java:52)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:484)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:274)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1482)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:507)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:535)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
at java.lang.Thread.run(null:-1)

Customer Support | About AOL Help | AOL International | AOL, Inc. | Download AOL | Accessibility Policy
GetNetWise | Legal Notices | AOL Member Policy | Unsolicited Bulk E-Mail Policy | Advertise With Us
© 2005 America Online, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I don't think I've unistalled it... I can still launch it okay. My cousin came down (or rather up) from London the other day and wanted to check his emails, so he used AOL and signed in as a guest and put his AOL login details in and it worked. And the computer seems to be working fine.

Maybe I could re-install it (if it's on one of the discs that came with the laptop), and then try uninstalling it... Do you reckon that'd do anything?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I really don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry. I've exhausted my knowlege on this subject. I will see if someone else knows any more about it or what to do.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
can you boot into safe mode and try to uninstall it from there?

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
No, but I'll try it now. I'll report back after.