Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive is not showing in My computer?

• Please log in to reply

kotak

kotak

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
a couple of days ago i put a CD into my computer and it wouldnt read it, so i noticed that the dive symbol werent showing up on 'my computer' and i also cheked on computer management and device manager and it reads the drive and everything. and i dont want to open up the computer. this is what it says.

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now i would open the computer up and unplug/replug the data cable and power cable to the drives. It could be the data cable has lost its connection which would show this kind of error. It is unlikely that both drives went bad at the same time. You could also try hooking one of the drives to the hard drive cable and see if it works then. It might just be the cable has gone bad.

SRX660

kotak

kotak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
but see i dont want to open it up

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error is caused when you install something like EzCD, Deamon Tools, Roxio or something like that. You then go to get rid of it and it doesn't uninstall itself properly.

The message is basically telling you that Windows has been told to use another file from another program to look at the CD unit through (sort of like a window if you like), and that program has now gone.

Fortunately the solution doesn't require taking your computer's sidepanel off. A solution is here (second post):
http://www.cdrom-gui...ad.php?t=272544

Edited by Neil Jones, 30 April 2006 - 01:29 PM.