Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply issue

• Please log in to reply

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
If you have an underpowered power supply, could that affect the BIOS.

I bought a computer with a 145w power supply, but that power supply is not for the cpu I have. It has an Athlon XP in it.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It could very well affect your computer. I have a athlon 2400 that would lock up all the time. It would even lockup when i was in the bios. After trying everything i could think of i finally replaced the Elcheapo 450 watt PS with a thermotake 430 watt PS and have never had a problem since. After testing the 450 W PS i found that the 12 volt line was only putting out 11.37 volts. My system was a Biostar N7 ncd pro, athlon 2400, 1 gig ram, dvd-rw, cd-rw/dvd combo, Wd 160 G HD, Nvidia FX5200, and SB audigy. This system should not have pulled much over 250 watts and the original PS still couldnt handle it.

Your 145 watt PS wont handle much so i would think about replacing it. Be careful here as some known brands of computers have non-standard PS's( dell comes to mind here). If you upgrade the PS make sure it will work in the computer.

SRX660

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Nearly all OEM brands of computers (Dell, HP, etc.) have unique non-standard power supplies. If you have a case that is not OEM then you have an industry standard case that will accept a wide choice of aftermarket supplies. Here are a few that should do the trick:

LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK (this is really a 400 watt supply)

Rosewill RV350 ATX 350W

Rosewill RV450 ATX12V 450W

Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W

All the above supplies have excellent reviews from many people.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
A minimum of 180w is recommended for non-gaming computers

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

I bought a computer with a 145w power supply, but that power supply is not for the cpu I have. It has an Athlon XP in it.

OK, so what kind of computer is it? And, what Athlon XP are we talking about? My guess is that you have a micro ATX board, a micro PSU and will need to replace this PSU with something similar.

Sounds like you may be talking emachine here but wouldn't want to guess at everything. A little more information would go a long way to helping you resolve this.

:whistling: