Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird question

• Please log in to reply

FoxTrot1

FoxTrot1

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey, just gotta say you guys are great, and I really appreciate your past efforts in helping me resolve some Malware. :whistling: there is just one other thing i need to fix. Mozilla Thunderbird keeps opening up automatically, and I don't know why :blink: any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

Mozilla Thunderbird keeps opening up automatically

<<can you explain this? When is it opening up automatically?

FoxTrot1

FoxTrot1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well it just randomly opens up, either when im web browsing on Firefox, typing up a paper, playing a game...whenever, really :whistling:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I don't use thunderbird, but does it have an option of how often it is supposed to check your email? You might look around in options. There might be something checked that says check email automatically....every (blank) minutes or hours.

FoxTrot1

FoxTrot1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Unfortunately, I can't find an option like that, could it be a worm trying to send itself out? (I hope not :whistling: )

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I don't know if this will help, but let's try this:

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

FoxTrot1

FoxTrot1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
oh ok, thanks for your feedback! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey FoxTrot1...

There IS an option in Thunderbird for checking for e-mail periodically. I think the default setting is 10 minutes.

Open Thunderbird, click on "Tools" on the toolbar, and choose "Account Settings". In the left pane, choose "Server Settings". You will find the setting about midway down the right frame.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 May 2006 - 12:04 AM.

FoxTrot1

FoxTrot1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey wannabe1! I found the settings and unchecked them, but Thunderbird keeps opening up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A fairly extensive search has yeilded very little on this issue. The most reasonable explaination I found was that it may be caused by a mass mailing worm. That being a possibility, I would suggest following coachwife6's advice and let the Malware experts have a look at the problem.

wannabe1

FoxTrot1

FoxTrot1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Will do, thanks again!