Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is Linux compatiable with my pc ?

• Please log in to reply

ak_m_f

ak_m_f

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hi,

I am thinking of installing linux on my hard drive, I have XP installed on drive c:

I have like 118GB free on it.

can I install linux Fedora Core 5??

how to install it?

I just used linux, but have never tweaked with it nor installed it.

can anyone help?

Advertisements

ak_m_f

ak_m_f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
post something

Edited by ak_m_f, 30 April 2006 - 04:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well as your problem isnt critical a "help" after less than an hour really isnt a good idea bumping posts is rude, that and this part of the forum is pretty slow in the first place you dont need to bump.

You can install it straight over the top like you would windows, or you can creat a new partition and setup a dual boot. Either way you need to back up important data.

Easiest way to get more info is to go and find some, google is a great tool and there are quite literally hundreds of different tutorials as to how to install and use linux in songle and dual boot configuration.

ak_m_f

ak_m_f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
sorry evil monkey

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I really got to get a new avatar. :whistling: the monkey just aint friendly.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You should be able to install Linux on your machine, one question is whether you want to wipe out what you have or not.

I am not sure if the current version of Fedora Core has the ability to resize a windoze partition or not. Knoppix has a program, qtparted, which can resize a partition, but you should backup and defragment the disk first.

To install it, boot the CD and follow the prompts. You need to decide how you want to partition the disk and there are many choices. Personally I recommend a 100Mb /boot partition, 4Gb or so root partition, 512Mb-1Gb swap partition, 4-10Gb /home partition and then the rest is more of an option, such as a secondary root partition so that you can install an upgrade and test it and the other data partitions.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Another obvious thing to look at is the version of FC5. If you have a 32bit processor get the x86 version, if you have a 64bit processor look at the x64 or 64bit version.

The 32bit version will run on 64bit, but not the other way around. Also, remember if you use the 32bit version on the 64bit processor you will have a large performance drop... As for linux flavours I'd personally go for Ubuntu or SuSE. SuSE is easy to use and has so much useful stuff, as for Ubuntu its for the average home user... If you call Linux a home user's OS.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

If you call Linux a home user's OS.

As if you can consider Windoze an OS at all!!!

I do agree with looking at other versions of Linux as it might be a better choice, depending on what you are doing. Using Fedora is a good idea if you are looking to get experience with it as companies tend to use that.